Victorian silver pocket watch and sterling silver chain

In Pocket Watches > Show & Tell and Sterling Silver > Show & Tell.
Pocket Watches574 of 1029WWI Dogtag watch fob with attached profileElgin Pocket watch

BigsargeBigsarge loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
PoopPoop loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.
purpledogpurpledog loves this.
pw-collectorpw-collector loves this.
musikchoomusikchoo loves this.
thisoldwatchthisoldwatch loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.

Agram.m

Showing you a Victorian silver pocket watch on a sterling silver chain I want to ask you what the (I suppose English ) hallmarks means? You see them on the fourth picture and it says: fine silver, a crown and a 2.
Who can tell more? And the sterling silver chain (hallmarked 925) is from origin not belonging to the watch and I think it is Art Deco I like to hear from you what you think about this?

Comments

1. thisoldwatch thisoldwatch, 2 years ago
    Could you show a picture of the movement?
  2. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    Hello thisoldwatch, as you suggested I posted a picture of the movement. L'll hope you can see enough? Thanks in advance for your time!
  3. thisoldwatch thisoldwatch, 2 years ago
    I can see from the picture that is is a cylinder escapement most likely Swiss-made. Could you post a clearer picture of the hallmark and then I can possibly tell you who made the case.
  4. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    Hello I posted a new picture. What I can see is:
    A crown and the words: Fine Silver and also: 4553 . On the other plate is also the crown and Fine Silver and a 2.
    There are some figures scratched in it (the opposite site from the hallmark picture) but I think that is not so interesting. Better pictures I cannot make I'm afraid. Thanking in advance for your kind help!
  5. thisoldwatch thisoldwatch, 2 years ago
    It looks very close to the hallmark of Richard Grosse of Berlin, Germany. Not much is written about him. I hope this helps a little. The hand written scratches are marks from different jewelers that worked on the watch over the years. It is also a key wind/key set (from the back) possibly from the mid 1800's.
  6. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    Thanks you for all your work and I will look if I get any information about this Richard Grosse.
  7. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    Thanks BELLIN68 we share a lot of the same favorites.