Very interesting old postcard

In Postcards > Advertising Postcards > Show & Tell.
Advertising Postcards16 of 32Cawston Ostrich FarmLone Ranger Promo Postcard  by Silvercup Bread

DeanteaksDeanteaks loves this.
peteypetey loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.
Hems303Hems303 loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 likes this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel likes this.
mrmajestic1mrmajestic1 likes this.
mrcolorzmrcolorz loves this.
packrat-placepackrat-place loves this.

gingerakes…

Hello, this old postcard is blank (on front and back), so I'm having trouble dating it? I have come across several sites that are great for dating postcards throughout my years of researching, but without ANYTHING to go by, I'm having a hard time. It is a very cool card though, and made of really hard (almost like cardboard) paper.

Comments

1. gingerakesler gingerakesler, 2 years ago
    Than you!
    But what is it...that is to say, what kind of postcard is it? I don't get it's point, ha?
  2. gingerakesler gingerakesler, 2 years ago
    So, according to that link, this is pre-1900 according to the back "post card", is that correct?
  3. gingerakesler gingerakesler, 2 years ago
    Ok, well I just was directed to this site...
    And, it is indeed like my card, but why is mine not colored or signed?
  4. mrmajestic1 mrmajestic1, 2 years ago
    This reminds me of the old line 'I live by the lake. Drop in.'
  5. walksoftly walksoftly, 2 years ago
    Better to be on thin ice, than freezing water ;-)
  6. Hunter Hunter, 2 years ago
    "Deep Water?"
  7. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    This is very similar to a lot of my cards from the 1910-12 era. I would guess at that right now. I still love all my postcards !~Phil.
  8. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    Hi gingerakesler! I'm almost certain that you have a postcard with an image drawn by Captain (Charles) Bruce Bairnsfather (9 July 1887 – 29 September 1959). He was a prolific British cartoonist, his most productive period was around the First World War period. Hope this helps.
  9. gingerakesler gingerakesler, 2 years ago
    Well, yes...it does! What a pleasant surprise to get a reply to this post so long from the original. I will look into that, and thanks!
  10. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    In 1915 Bainsfather began drawing "Fragments From France", a series of cartoons about life in the trenches, for the British Bystander magazine. The series featured the character of Old Bill, a curmudgeonly soldier with a walrus moustache. It was very popular, both with the troops and the readers back home, and had a morale-boosting effect that led to the British War Office commissioning Bairnsfather to draw similar cartoons for other allied nations.

Between the wars, Old Bill retained his popularity, appearing in books, plays, musicals, films, and comic strips in the Daily Graphic, Passing Show, The Illustrated and Judge, and "the Old Bill" became a nickname for the UK police, probably because so many police officers had moustaches. During the Second World War Bairnsfather continued to draw Old Bill, and became official cartoonist to the American forces in Europe, contributing to Stars and Stripes and Yank and painting the noses of American aircraft.
  11. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    Glad to help! I do know that Bruce very much liked working with, for and alongside our American Cousins, and I think I spotted the US Postal logo, if I'm not mistaken, on the top left of your last photo.
  12. walksoftly walksoftly, 2 years ago
    Kudos to Hem, very interesting bit of history behind the cartoon.