RARE Nanny Still McKinney- Raak Holland UFO / FLYING SAUCER LIGHTS

In Art Glass > Scandinavian Art Glass > Show & Tell and Lamps > Hanging Lamps > Show & Tell.
Scandinavian Art Glass652 of 1028Timo Sarpaneva ( 1926 - 2006 )ARTHUR PERCY GULLASKRUF 1952 VASE

tom61375tom61375 loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
BudekBudek loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.
inkyinky loves this.
peteypetey loves this.
trunkmantrunkman loves this.
manddmoirmanddmoir loves this.
ozmartyozmarty loves this.
packrat-placepackrat-place loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.

ozmarty

I had owned one of these UFO lights for decades it had come out of a Kings Cross Sydney night club ( once a very seedy area of gangsters ; prostetution etc...) I sold it recently and low and behold I manage to track down this pair that had been stored in an Italian grandmother's garage for years .They came from the same place.
I think they may have been coustom made for this club .
Hand made yellow amber glass isblown into the copper form. The shape and cutout bubble (windows) are intentional as they give a futuristic flying saucer look to the whole creation. When lit the matt blck fittings do not show so the Flying saucers appear to be hovering in space.
I would love to know who made them

I have just dicovered that these are NOT italian But Dutch !!
Designed by Nanny Still McKinney for Raak Holland .
It`s not copper but bronze patinated brass, yellow cast glass.

Comments

1. AmberRose AmberRose, 2 years ago
    I worked at a cafe called The Fountain Cafe for a long time...right at the end of Kings Cross...Sydney! Also cocktailed at a jazz nightclub called Round Midnight in that same part of town. Had a complete blast. No cool light fixtures though.
  2. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    Hi AmberRose does thay mean you are anothe Ozzie on CW??

3. AmberRose AmberRose, 2 years ago
    Hi Marty, no, after school I moved down your way for a year and a half.
    Would have loved to stay longer but my visa expired. I still have good friends in Sydney and Perth. Just waiting for my youngest to be old enough to handle the plane flight to come for a visit.
    Besides, can CW handle any more of you lads? : ))
  4. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    *!* OH ! C/W needs more Ozzies..
    Just for our unique sence of humour !! ha ha ha :)
  5. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    HI Bellin68 , I need higher ceilings.
  6. rockstar1998 rockstar1998, 2 years ago
    they are from the 1950's-1960's (61-62 max)
  7. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    Hi Rockstar ,
    I agree with your dateing of these UFO's . Strange there was just an old movie on TV " Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers "1956 .In the 1950's flyingsaucers where all the rage..
  8. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    I would buy these in a second also. They would look good with all the new ingenious small led lights that they sell on this site. If you ever order from them then you should read all their info and see all their short videos before you place an order as it really helps to realize what you are doing first !~Phil

9. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    Hi PhilDavidAlexanderMorris , thanks for that site would be spooky with led's .
    I probably will sell these as they do not fit my house .I got good money for the other one i had . And where would you find another?
  10. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    I've just seen these an wonder which came first or are they from the same maker designer??

11. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    I asked the seller of the above lamps and he confirms they are listed in the Raak catalogue
    so!
    These are NOT italian But Dutch !!
    Designed by Nanny Still McKinney for Raak Holland .
    It`s not copper but bronze patinated brass, yellow cast glass.
  12. miKKoChristmas11 miKKoChristmas11, 2 years ago
    How'd I miss these? They're wonderful!
  13. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    Thanks MiKKo , it is so wonderful to find out who made and designed them.
  14. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    here is a bio of Nanny Still
  15. miKKoChristmas11 miKKoChristmas11, 2 years ago
    Super! Thank so much, Ozmarty!
  16. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    Haa austro seen these yet? Fusion of Dutch and Finnish design! Copper and glass! Got to learn more about "Raak"!
  17. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    Me Too.. so much to learn about all sorts of things especially Scandinavian ( oops Dutch) design and designers!
  18. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago