Posted 9 months ago
This is a 1950 magazine advertisement for Metlox Dinnerware made by the Metlox Manufacturing Co., Manhattan Beach, California. The ad measures 9 3/4" by 12 3/4". Photo by B. Altman & Co., New York, NY.
Metlox Pottery, or Metlox Manufacturing Company, was a manufacturer of ceramic housewares founded in 1927 by T. C. Prouty and his son Willis Prouty, originally as a producer of outdoor ceramic signs. After the death of T.C. in 1931, Willis renamed the company Metlox Pottery ("Metlox" is a combination of "metal" and "oxide," a reference to the glaze pigments), and began producing dinnerware. The first line of pottery produced, "Poppytrail," became well known for its brightly colored glazes derived from locally mined metallic oxides. Subsequent lines included "Nostalgia," "Red Rooster," "California Provincial," "Colonial Homestead," "Homestead Provincial," and "Colorstax." In the 1950s Metlox introduced a line of moderist dinnerware featuring free form designs and squared plates using "blanks" that were then decorated with designs and colors. These were then marketed under the pattern names of "California Contempra", "California Modern" and "California Freeform" names.
Besides kitchenware, Metlox also produced a very popular line of large ceramic horses and carriages in the 1950s that is still very collectible.
Metlox's incorporation was terminated on January 4, 1988.