Posted 9 months ago
These are two different 1950 magazine advertisements for the Cambridge Glass Company, Cambridge, Ohio. The first picture is of their finely etched crystal bridal sets and the second shows several pieces including a candy box, goblet, sherbet, wine, vase, bowl, and sugar & creamer in the "Harvest" engraved pattern.
In 1901, The Cambridge Glass Company was organized by the owners of the National Glass Company of Pennsylvania. A variety of heavy pressed patterns were produced during the next five years. Many of the patterns were of Mr. Bennett's own design. Sometime around 1903-1904 the company's first trademark came into being, the words "Near Cut" pressed into the glass. Cambridge Glass soon became known worldwide for quality in both "crystal and colors, pressed and blown."
In 1950, the Cambridge Square pattern won top honors across the United States for its modern design. In the early 1950s the demand for fine handmade glassware began to decrease and the competition of foreign and machine-made glass began taking its toll. The company closed its doors for the final time in 1958. In November 1960, Imperial Glass Company of Bellaire, Ohio, acquired the Cambridge molds and equipment however Imperial was forced into bankruptcy in 1984.