Posted 5 years ago
Four months ago I put some little Integra chairs by Sebel on CW.
A few weeks later I sighted these at the Surry Hills monthly market and couldn't resist them! The colours were so bright!
"They are great little toys in themselves. They are also great little stackers and can be easily stored. As an ex-school teacher I remember these stackers as an alternative to the Robin Day stackers (Hille Polypropylene Chair) that were ubiquitous in school halls and classrooms in the seventies and eighties.
They are miniatures of a well-known Australian design."
The most popular school chair on the market.
Designed to promote good posture and provide exceptional comfort even during extended periods of sitting backwards or forwards. Lightweight with excellent stability and durability, will not twist or distort. This versatile one-piece injection moulded high impact polypropylene chair includes anti-static additives, stain resistant and UV protective inclusions and is engineered to withstand the rigours of constant commercial use."
The chair is a development of the Sebel 'Integra' chair. It was disputably the first mono-bloc plastic chair. Joe Colombo in 1965 created the first plastic chair in 5 pieces, Vico Magistretti's Selene was in fiberglass-reinforced polyester. Verner Panton' s eponymous chair did not go into production until 1973 when this Integra hit the market as well.
Designed by Sebel Ltd and Charles Furey & Associates, 1973, made by Sebel Ltd, Australia, 1973-1986, Development also involved moulders Elmaco Pty Ltd and toolmakers Shelton Industries Ltd. It is still sold around the world."
High:10cm or 4 inches
Wide: 7cm or 2.8 inches
Deep: 6.5 cm or 2.5 inches.
These days there are many miniature chairs of design classics available in the Vitra Miniature Collection:
But miniature furniture is not exactly a new science either, I suppose. The English have their "Apprentice Pieces" and there was always a market for Doll's House Furniture pieces too.
• One piece fully injection moulded from tough, hard wearing polypropylene with reinforced ribbing to provide structural strength and controlled flexing while ensuring superior comfort.
• High-tech polypropylene contains anti static and UV stabilisers.
• Stain resistant.
• Smooth ungrained surface enhances appearance and allows for low maintenance easy cleaning.
• Lightweight, easy to handle yet strong.
• Chairs can be stacked for easy storage. Linking armrests enable sturdy, stable rows to be quickly and easily assembled.