Posted 9 months ago
These are three different 1950 magazine advertisements for Seneca Glass Co., Morgantown, West Virginia. All ads are 4 1/4" by 5 3/4".
The first picture is the "Ingrid" pattern which was made of clear hand-blown crystal, the second picture is the "Pirouette" pattern made in the clearest handmade crystal enhanced by a twisted stem, and the third picture is the "Elegance" pattern made of hand-cut crystal.
In 1891 the Seneca Glass Company opened in Fostoria, Ohio in a factory recently vacated by Fostoria Glass Company’s relocation to Moundsville. In 1896, Seneca Glass followed Fostoria to West Virginia. Seneca selected Morgantown, becoming the first of more than 20 glass factories to operate there. From the beginning Seneca created quality, hand-blown lead glass. Seneca used nearly every decorating technique. Glass was sand-blasted, acid-etched, plate-etched, needle-etched, hand-cut, and in other ways embellished. Seneca added colored lead glass in the 1920s and produced colored glass until closing in 1983. Seneca specialized in high-end, elegant cut glass and was the last elegantly cut American lead crystal sold by Tiffany’s as the demand for expensive cut crystal faded.