Posted 9 months ago
These are two different 1950 magazine advertisements for Hull Pottery made by the A. E. Hull Pottery Co., Crooksville, Ohio. - 4 1/4" X 5 1/2"
First ad - "Arabian Nights" 3-piece tea set Woodland artware pattern
Second ad - Woodland style 3-piece Compote & Candleholders Set
Hull Pottery began production in 1905 in Crooksville, Ohio, under the leadership of Addis Emmet (A.E.) Hull (later succeeded by Ralph W. Hull). The A.E. Hull Pottery Company's early lines consisted of common utilitarian stoneware, semi-porcelain dinnerware and decorative tile. The company quickly established a firm market and enjoyed an excellent reputation for producing quality ceramics.
The company's success continued and, over the next several years, the business expanded. In the 1920s, the A.E. Hull Pottery Company maintained its general offices and factories in Crooksville and had an office and a showroom located in New York, offices in Chicago and Detroit, a large warehouse in New Jersey. It was also during the 1920s that Hull began expanding the variety of his company's product line to art pottery. The company also began using a broader variety of colors and glazing techniques with its products.
A.E. Hull died in 1930. Addis E. Hull, Jr. succeeded his father in the management of the business. Hull, Jr. left the company in 1937 to become the General Manager of The Shawnee Pottery Company. Gerald F. Watts became the new manager of Hull Pottery. Also in 1937, the company contracted with Shulton of New York to manufacture pottery cosmetic containers (most known for the Old Spice shaving product line). By the late 1930s through 1950s, Hull was making some its best work. Hull developed art pottery lines primarily along floral themes: Orchid, Magnolia, Calla Lily, Rose and Tulip to name a few. The trendy pastel matte lines of Hull Pottery were in high demand. Hull's product line had expanded to include piggy banks, liquor bottles, and lamps. From the 1940s through the 1960s, a plant or flower bouquet delivered from a florist was often contained in a Hull pot or figural planter.
The company ceased operations and closed the plant in March, 1986.