Posted 9 months ago
These are two 1950 magazine advertisements for Dirilyte Flatware made by the Dirilyte Company, Kokomo, Indiana. Dirilyte flatware is a type of dinner service that was first manufactured in Sweden. The company was originally named Dirigold and was founded in 1919 by Oscar von Malmborg and Carl Molin. The metal alloy which the flatware was made of was invented in 1914 by Molin and, although it contained no gold, it did contain a number of other metals. However, to avoid the suspicion of false advertising, the company changed its name to Dirilyte in 1935. Dirilyte was a very popular choice of dinner service during the 1940s and 1950s and was also extremely expensive to purchase. A five-place setting would have cost nearly $700. Interest in the company’s flatware waned towards the final years of production but recently their flatware is steadily becoming desirable to collectors. The company’s factory closed down in 1986.
In order to identify flatware as Dirilyte, collectors need to look for its mark which is typically found stamped into the alloy on the underside of the flatware’s handles. The mark ranges from the name alone to a combination with a clover leaf. The clover leaf may also appear independently.