Packard Goddess of Speed, 1925 Art Deco, Deluxe Mascot

In Art Deco > Show & Tell and Classic Cars > Hood Ornaments > Show & Tell.
Art Deco905 of 17211930's United Clock Corp. "Flame of Life" Model 1940's  German Art Deco Mantel Clock

racer4fourracer4four loves this.
mtg75mtg75 loves this.
rocker-sdrocker-sd loves this.
czechmanczechman loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.

PhilDavidA…

~ 1925 Packard Goddess of Speed ~ Deluxe Mascot

This is a wonderful mascot that I got with the lot of items I bought at the sale in late July. I believe it was the 20th lot I had just finished buying. The base came courtesy of Jim Colwill who wrote the 5 books on mascots that I bought from him. This design came during the year 1925, which was so impotant for the Art Deco movement to gain importance. Like I have mentioned before, mascots were a very important part of Art Deco which really has had barely a mention in books because so little was known about this collecting field, and still to this day there is barely if any mention in books, and yet it was one of the things that relied heavily on Art Deco for design elements, particularly for speed.

This is one of the first times that Packard had used this design and it was to follow slightly revised during following years. The design patent number was 73,026 and this design carried forward for several years, the base portion changing.

The detail is excellent throughout, and although you may not see it in the photo, the detail is excellent for the face also !~

My Mascot is marked on the base :
PMC (Packard Motor Company) Copyright 1925
73,026 (The design patent number)
170907 (The part number)

One interesting note is the book "Motoring Mascots..." has this design in it, identical base, but the serial number is the 1931-1932 one, identical with different serial numbers/date, and being the 8th series so this would be one of the earliest first series, hence the date, 1925 !

Comments

1. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    I'm in love with these Phil !!!!!!!!!! I am on way to pick them up :-) Stunning
  2. rniederman rniederman, 2 years ago
    I've really grown to appreciate these; individually they are works of art ... how about posting a group shot of your favorites (or a couple of group shots)?
  3. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Thanks Mani and Rniederman, great idea to post a shot of my favourites which can change at the drop of a hat, sometimes its my newest discovery sometimes its the creative ideas, or just a new base. Right now its a good idea to keep them close together, as Mani is getting close, I closed my window just now, and I thought I caught her fingers in it !!~
  4. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    hey ouch ! that was my one good hand you just smashed . But I have a friend near you also :-) the 2 of us and if I get my kinfolk we'll come a knocking :-) better lock the gates lol
  5. AmberRose AmberRose, 2 years ago
    That's it! I'm coming over to gawk at your collections. Spectacular as always Phil!
  6. walksoftly walksoftly, 2 years ago
    Hey what's up I thought Mani was protecting your collection from me, I'm on my way to Stoon.
  7. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Seems I'm about to get ransacked, time to move to Beverly !~
  8. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Thank you all for looking and the love, thank you to officialfuel, czechman, rockersd, mtg75, petey, miederman, Manikin, AmberRose, kerry 10456, vetraio50, walksoftly, thisoldwatch, cindyjune, sarahoff, sanhardin, trukn20,
  9. inky inky, 2 years ago
    Love all and all are spectacular but if you could send me the lady sitting reading that would nice!!!....:->
  10. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Oh inky I love the pixie type girl reading too :-( I was hoping it would appear in my purse when I pass through Phil's house :-) Now Phil we can find you in Beverley Hills too lol
  11. inky inky, 2 years ago
    Maybe we should drop in for coffee Manikin...:->
  12. zguy2112 zguy2112, 1 year ago
    Incredible piece!
  13. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 12 months ago
    The lady who appears reading in this version is different than the other version, particularly in the modelling in the face, very plain, much, much more like a man.
  14. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 11 months ago
    Thank you for the loves very much pickrknows, ttomtucker, toracat, blunderbuss2, toolate2, gargoylecollector, Designer, musikchoo, AntigueToys, chevy59, inky, trunkman & BELLIN68, should have said thank you all earlier.
  15. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 11 months ago
    Thank you for the loves, very much appreciated RonM, Lilliflunew, TrustyHuckster, pops52, Phatbuddha, zguy2112 & undreal !~
  16. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 10 months ago
    Thank you SEAN68 and thank you again undreal !~
  17. pops52 pops52, 2 months ago
    Phil, I never get tired of looking at these beautiful mascots!
  18. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 months ago
    Thanks again for the wonderful compliment on this mascot pops, also thank you for the loves flask, toenail2, antiquerose, leanna25, fenwiki, tom61375 !~