Posted 8 months ago
These are three 1950 magazine advertisements for Eljer Vitreous China Lavatories and fixtures made by Eljer Company, Ford City, PA.
-- Eljer, Inc. was founded in 1904 by Raymond ELmer Crane and his cousin, Oscar JERome Backus, from whose middle names "ELJER" was coined. Eljer's original location was Oakland, California, where flush valves were manufactured. Shortly thereafter, a move was made to Newark, New Jersey, where the firm manufactured a diaphragm-type flush valve with mediocre success. In 1907 an old dinnerware plant was purchased in Cameron, West Virginia, and converted into a sanitaryware plant. In the beginning, only a washout closet bowl was produced. However, it was in this plant that the first vitreous china tank was developed. Prior to the advent of the china tank, copper-lined wood tanks were the vogue. Eljer continued to grow, and in 1918 purchased a dinnerware pottery in Ford City, Pennsylvania. The acquisition of the Ford City pottery enabled Eljer to offer vitreous china fixtures for every type installation; residential, commercial, industrial and institutional. The Cameron, West Virginia, Plant continued in operation until 1929 when the production of all vitreous china was consolidated at Ford City. Today, Eljer Plumbingware's vitreous china facility in Ford City is one of the largest and most modern of its type in the world.
Eljer, Inc. is one of the most prominent brand names in the plumbing fixtures industry. In addition to vitreous china and enameled cast iron, Eljer offers a complete line of quality plumbing fixtures made of acrylic.
American Standard Brands was formed in February, 2008 from the merger of 3 companies: American Standard Americas, Crane Plumbing, and Eljer.