Posted 8 months ago
These are three 1950 magazine advertisements for Kandell Dekor & Chintz fabrics made by Joseph Bancroft & Sons Co., Wilmington, DE
Bancroft Mills was opened in 1831 by Joseph Bancroft, an English immigrant who had worked in the Midlands textile industry. In 1880, at half of its future size, Bancroft Mills was described as the largest cotton finishing mill in the United States, and in 1930 it was described as one of the largest cotton finishing works in the world. The Bancroft Mills were noted for their technological innovation and for finishing cloth that had been produced elsewhere. They were especially noted for producing fabric window shades. Bancroft introduce the mercerizing process into the United States, and pioneered the use of synthetic fabrics in weaving. They introduced the first permanent crease fabrics and Ban-Lon.
As textile producers left the northeastern United States for the southern states, Bancroft Mills closed in 1961