Posted 8 months ago
This is a 1919 newspaper advertisement for Taylor International Fur Exchange (F.C. Taylor Fur Co., St. Louis, Missouri) - Established 1871
-- The International Fur Exchange Building in St. Louis was built in 1919 to address the growing demand for furs as St. Louis became the nation's leading city for the commodity. 60-70 percent of all furs trapped in North America were received in St. Louis. Furs from northern fur seals were particularly in high demand, leading to their near-extinction before the US Government regulated the trade in 1910. In 1915, the government agreed to sell all of these furs through Funsten Brothers in St. Louis (fur trade with Europe was cut off at the time due to WWI). Funsten combined with F. C. Taylor Company to form the International Fur Exchange in 1916. In 1919, this warehouse was built to store and examine wares. Only months after its completion, the fur bubble burst as fashion demands changed and public opinion began to turn against fur. Splinters of the original company sold furs in considerably lesser volumes until the mid 1950s. The Fur Exchange Building was demolished in 1997 to make room for a parking lot.