Posted 8 months ago
This is a 1909 magazine advertisement for Knabe Pianos made by Wm. Knabe & Co., New York / Baltimore / Washington.
-- Wm. Knabe & Co. was a piano manufacturing company formed in 1839 in Baltimore, Maryland and manufactured pianos from the middle of the nineteenth century through the beginning of the 20th century. In 1908 Wm. Knabe & Co., with Chickering & Sons and the Foster-Armstrong Co. formed the American Piano Co. In 1932 the American Piano Corp. merged with the Aeolian Company, Aeolian-Weber's piano subsidiary, to form the Aeolian American Corporation which consolidated the control of more than 20 piano brands. In 1936 it ranked as the fourth largest producer in the country, after Kimball, Baldwin and Winter & Co. In 1985 Sohmer & Co. purchased the Knabe and Mason & Hamlin trademarks and their patterns and equipment It is currently a line of pianos manufactured by Samick Musical Instruments since 2001.