Posted 8 months ago
This is a 1909 magazine advertisement for Bausch & Lomb's Compound Camera Shutter made by Bausch & Lomb Optical Co., Rochester, NY.
-- Bausch & Lomb was founded in 1853 by two German immigrants, John Jacob Bausch and Henry C. Lomb in Rochester, New York. A trained optician, Bausch found in Lomb the financier and partner he needed for a small but ambitious workshop producing monocles. In 1861, the company manufactured Vulcanite rubber eyeglass frames and other precision vision products. In 1876, the company began manufacturing microscopes. The company also produced photographic lenses (1883), spectacle lenses (1889), microtomes (1890), binoculars and telescopes (1893). From 1892 in cooperation with Zeiss in Germany, the company produced optical lenses. In this manner, at the end of the 19th century, the product range included eyeglasses, microscopes and binoculars, as well as projectors, camera lenses and camera diaphragms.
Bausch & Lomb, an American company based in Rochester, New York, is now one of the world's leading suppliers of eye health products, such as contact lenses and lens care products.