Posted 8 months ago
These are two different 1909 magazine advertisements for Borden's Eagle Brand Condensed Milk made by the Borden's Condensed Milk Co., New York. -- The company was founded by Gail Borden, Jr., in 1857 in Connecticut as "Gail Borden, Jr., and Company." Its primary product was condensed milk. The company changed its name in 1858 to the New York Condensed Milk Company. Borden began selling processed milk to consumers in 1875, and pioneered the use of glass milk bottles in 1885. Borden began selling evaporated milk in 1892, and expanded into Canada in 1895. The company changed its name to the Borden Condensed Milk Company in 1899, and became the Borden Company in 1919. It expanded rapidly, buying numerous dairies, ice cream manufacturers, cheese producers, and mincemeat processors. Taking advantage of its many herds of cattle, the company became involved in rendering and the manufacture of adhesives. In World War II, Borden pioneered the American manufacture of non-dairy creamer, instant coffee and powdered foods. The dairies are now owned by Dean Foods and Grupo Lala. The Borden/Elsie trademarks are now licensed to IBE Business Enterprise AG of Switzerland. Borden once operated a chain of ice cream stores called Borden's Ice Cream, but only a single location in Lafayette, Louisiana remains under local ownership.