Posted 8 months ago
This is a 1945 newspaper advertisement for Philco. The war had just ended and Philco could now release the information that they were the manufacturer of "Mickey", the secret Radar Bombsight that the Army Air Force had used to demolish the Nazi industrial war machine.
--- Philco, the Philadelphia Storage Battery Company was a pioneer in early battery, radio, and television production as well as former employer of Philo Farnsworth, inventor of cathode ray tube television. It is currently a brand of Philips. In the early 1920s, Philco made only batteries, socket power units, and battery chargers. With the invention of the rectifier tube, which made light socket powered radios practical, Philco knew their business was doomed, and decided in 1926 to get into the booming radio business. By 1930 they would sell more radios than any other maker and hold that first place position for over 20 years.
Philco began marketing car radios in 1930 and later expanded into other areas including air conditioners (1938), refrigerators (1939), home freezers (1946), consumer televisions (1947), electric ranges (1949), home laundry washers and dryers (1954), and home entertainment products. Acquired by Ford Motor Company on December 11, 1961 and renamed Philco-Ford in 1966, it continued to make many car radios for Ford vehicles as well as its other products. Eventually, the name was abandoned. Ford sold Philco to General Telephone and Electronics (who also owned Sylvania) in 1974. The Aerospace portion of Philco Ford was renamed Ford Aerospace in 1976. The company was acquired by Philips in 1981 in order to gain the rights to use the Philips trademark in the United States (Philco had been able to keep Philips from using its trademark legally because of the similarly sounding names). Philips continues to use the Philco name for promotional consumer electronics and has licensed the name for private brands and retro style consumer electronics.