Posted 8 months ago
This is a 1950 magazine advertisement for EKCO Flint Stainless Vanadium Carving Sets made by EKCO Products Co., Chicago, Illinois.
--- In 1888, Austrian-born Edward Katzinger formed Edward Katzinger Co., which manufactured tin pans for bakeries. In 1923, the company built a large new factory on Chicago's Northwest Side. In 1945, led by the son of the founder, Arthur Katzinger, the company began to sell stock to the public and changed its name to the Ekco Products Co. The company continued to grow during the 1950s, when it was the nation's leading manufacturer of kitchen tools and cutlery. By the beginning of the 1960s, Ekco employed about 6,000 people and did about $90 million in annual sales. In 1965, American Home Products Corp. of New York purchased Ekco. By the 1980s, when it was purchased by Centronics Corp. of New Hampshire, Ekco was based in suburban Franklin Park, and it remained a leading manufacturer of bakeware.