Trunk or seaman's chest

In Furniture > Trunks > Show & Tell.
Trunks374 of 681my new old trunkmy new addition

kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
chrissylovescatschrissylovescats loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.

blunderbuss2

Some friends who lived on the island of Saba, Neth. Antilles, had this trunk that I loved. I call it a Seaman's Chess. It has a piece of news paper glued on the inside from London dated 1812.
I got all the details and made a copy of it. Friends who saw it all wanted one & I got into production & sold 10. These are the only 2 pics of the original I can find.
Here again I don't see a category listed that matches this.

Comments

1. miKKoChristmas11 miKKoChristmas11, 2 years ago
    Wonderful trunk! You have a great eye for beauty, and your knowledge and skills are most impressive. Sorry, that sounds a bit patronizing. I don't mean it to be. It's just that you know how to do so many things!
  2. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    Of course that lip is to keep water out & is a real close fit in this case. Wasn't to hard to replicate with the proper tools.
  3. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    Very snug fit, obviously to keep water from entering when setting up-right.
  4. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    Fantastic box! I have a "seamans box" that was issued in the Royal Navy it is termed a "Ditty Box" and is nothing as grand as yours. It is about a quarter the size of yours, made of cheap pine. It used to belong to my Great Uncle who was lost at sea during WW2. The box is heavily water damaged and certainly wasn't waterproof and does not have the "lip" yours does!
  5. trunkman trunkman, 2 years ago
    Beautiful chest in every respect. The interior lid lip was meant primarily to keep dust out of these trunks. I would love to see a picture of your reproduction! I have the same hand forged handle on my hide covered trunk, which causes me to think that this may have been American made -- they just may have had an English newspaper on hand to line it. (pure speculation)
  6. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    Trunkman, The son of the original owner of the trunk has moved to St. Maarten from Saba & has a lot of the antiques now that his father died. We are old friends(20 yrs+) & he lives on the other side of the lagoon now. He is in the States right now for a short visit. He may be willing to sell but the problem is venue & your homeland gestapo.
    When he returns, I will see if he has it & take more pics.. Since CW doesn't want items that are home-made, maybe I can clip-on 1 pic. of my reproductions without upsetting anybody. OK?
  7. trunkman trunkman, 2 years ago
    Sounds great to me -- nobody is talking about buying or selling -- just showing and telling. There are a lot of features on that trunk that are on three of my older trunks, but no on any two. Ps -- I do not live in the US!
  8. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    So you don't listen to all that political propaganda crap either! I didn't use the 2 key sys. on my repros. & bought solid brass handles etc.. I live around all sailors & know many old ones. They have told me the beveled lip was to keep water that splashes over things doesn't get inside. Robbie (the son) is due back ( actually last week) & was picking up some woven cane for my chairs, so will call when he arrives. I like to have somebody who loves what they collect like you do & hope any info. I come up with will be of interest to you & assistance to you. I made my repros. from assorted S.Amer. redwoods & want you to know that cutting those slats for the top & gluing in my handmade jig wasn't easy at all. The angle was so slight that it took a good eye to tell which side went up/down during assembly. I used "snake wood, angelique, ipi,etc." mixed & they looked great.
  9. trunkman trunkman, 2 years ago
    I have learned never to challenge an old sailor! I acquiesce...
  10. trunkman trunkman, 11 months ago
    Hey BB2 -- yes I would say these two are about the same in type style size and construction. Mine is covered in canvas. Cannot tell how the top was made as it is all covered, I will look a little closer and send you the dimensions tomorrow. This one must have been covered by either leather or canvas at some point -- do you know?
  11. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 11 months ago
    T-Mon asking me a question? I'm slipping into shock! To be honest, I didn't notice who posted the "VA" chest. You are looking at it, not me. What do you think? Don't know if you ever re-cover trunks with canvas, but I have a fairly large piece of cotton(I believe) canvas that I got to make "line-bags" for the flight line with. I don't know if you can get real cotton canvas on Uncle Sambo's Plantation anymore but will be up there in about 10 days & can send you some. It even has some stains & old. Don't know what gage but guess it would mic out at about .020 so might be a bit too heavy for trunks.
  12. trunkman trunkman, 11 months ago
    Hey BB2 -- I have never recovered a trunk in canvas -- usually prefer the wood to most of the drab canvas they used back in the day. To recover one would be a time consuming meticulous job. I am way to much of a hack to journey down that road. Your reproductions chests are awesome.
  13. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 11 months ago
    Thanks T-mon. Coming from you, that is a high compliment.
  14. Aimathena Aimathena, 8 months ago