Posted 8 months ago
This is a 1953 magazine advertisement for Black & White Scotch Whisky bottled by Scotch Whisky Distillers, Glascow, Scotland and imported in the U.S. by The Fleischmann Distilling Corp, New York.
--- Black & White is a blended Scotch whisky. It was first produced by the London-based whisky blender founded by James Buchanan. Originally known as House of Commons (after the British House of Commons), its nickname, referring to the black and white labelling, was eventually adopted as the official brand instead. The brand's motif (featuring a black Scottish Terrier and a white West Highland White Terrier) was conceived by James Buchanan himself during the 1890s.
After a series of mergers and acquisitions involving Dewar's (1915), Distillers Company, and Guinness (forming United Distillers), the brand is now owned by Diageo. It is claimed to be most successful in France, Venezuela, and Brazil. At present, the brand is not used within the United Kingdom.