Posted 8 months ago
These are three 1954 magazine advertisements for Widmer's Neopolitan Wine and Cocktail Sherry from the Widmer's Wine Cellars, Naples, NY. -- John Jacob Widmer bought his first New York farmland in 1882 and the Widmer wine business started in 1888 back when orders were filled only in kegs and barrels. During the years of Prohibition, Widmer's Wine Cellars produced unfermented grape juice, fruit and wine jellies, syrups as well as a limited amount of wine for sacramental and medicinal use. When Prohibition was repealed in 1933, Widmer went back into the wine business. Over the years the Widmer business grew to 860 acres of land on which there are 220 vine acres with 640 vines to the acre. The current owners, Constellation Brands announced that it will close Widmer Winery in 2011, moving the production of Manischewitz, Taylor, Paul Masson and Widmer wines to its Canandaigua Winery.