Posted 8 months ago
This is a 1954 magazine advertisement for John Jameson Irish Whiskey imported by W.A. Taylor & Company, New York, NY
--- The company was established in 1780 when John Jameson established the Bow Street Distillery in Dublin. By the turn of the 19th century, it was the second largest producer in Ireland and one of the largest in the world, producing 1,000,000 gallons annually. Dublin at the time was the centre of world whiskey production. It was the second most popular spirit in the world after rum and internationally Jameson had by 1805 become the world's number one whiskey. In 1966 John Jameson joined forces with Cork Distillers and John Powers to form the Irish Distillers Group. The New Midleton Distillery built by Irish Distillers produces most of the Irish whiskey sold in Ireland. The new facility adjoins the old one, now a tourist attraction. Originally one of the six main Dublin Whiskeys, Jameson is now distilled in Cork, although vatting still takes place in Dublin. With annual sales of over 31 million bottles, Jameson is by far the best selling Irish whiskey in the world. Today, Jameson is the world's third largest single-distillery whiskey. The Jameson brand was acquired by French drinks conglomerate Pernod Ricard in 1988 when it bought Irish Distillers.