Old family members farm in Nebraska 1920 Log Cabins

In Photographs > Show & Tell.
Photographs1108 of 2732early 1900s post mortem post cardCivil War or Spanish American War Era Photo ID Help

inkyinky loves this.
mrmajestic1mrmajestic1 loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
chinabluechinablue loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.

Manikin

This was my Grandfathers Uncles farm in 1920 . The photo is not as clear as it could be but life on a farm was wonderful. There are 2 little girls in photo in their white dress's. That meant company was there or it was Sunday. Farms are becoming obsolete, to big company owned ones the families that made our country were self sufficient on their farms . Pretty hard to do that today . Log cabins !

Comments

1. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    beautiful. Brings back memories I never had but wish I had.
  2. chinablue chinablue, 2 years ago
    What a great old photo! I feel blessed to live in an area where you can still see scenes like this (not including the period clothing and lack of utility poles) every now and then. So many of the old family farms are being left to ruin, but there are still a few holdouts. I know what you mean blunderbuss.. funny how you can be nostalgic for something you never really knew. Sometimes I think I was born about 100 years or more too late.
  3. walksoftly walksoftly, 2 years ago
    Another great photo Mani, love it
  4. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Thank you Sean,blunderbuss,Chinablue and David (walksoft ) and thanks for for great comments :-)
  5. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Thank you mustang and MiKKo ! :-)
  6. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    RE #3. I know I was.
  7. mrmajestic1 mrmajestic1, 2 years ago
    What part of NE. is this from?
  8. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    Thanks for posting Mani...I often complain about England but the two Counties I split my time in; Shropshire and Dorset, still have many small family farms that are spearheading the "organic" old fashioned approach to agriculture that is fighting back now against the big Combines! The only thing missing is the large acreage covered by your US farms...I'm sure most are quite small compared. As an artist I'm blessed to have many Farmer patrons who commission me to document in paint, the passing of traditions and scenes they hold dear!
  9. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    mr maj I will have to dig out photo I scanned it a month ago it was wrote one back but I believe it just said his name and nebraska . I will try to find out . Of coarse all my family has passed but I have a cousin on y grandpa's side that would know I will ask :-)
  10. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Thank you Hems . I imagine your paintings are incredible . The farms are fast fading in my state as well as others . My Families farm closed 15 years ago it survived longer than some . Now they have become housing suburbs and the history is gone for children today . I loved farm life .
  11. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Thank you RonM and pw-collector !!!!!!!
  12. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Did anyone notice the out buildings are log cabins ?
  13. walksoftly walksoftly, 2 years ago
    I did, I also noticed how closely they are grouped.
    Were they first generation European American?
  14. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
  15. Kathycat Kathycat, 2 years ago
    Yes I did notice the log cabins in front, love them. Where I grew up there was one in my town that was over 100 years old. It was absolutely beautiful.
  16. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
  17. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Thank you T.G :-) glad you enjoyed some of the past . Hope all is good with you and glad you stopped :-)
  18. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago