Little Silver Dome Trunk

In Furniture > Trunks > Show & Tell.
Trunks534 of 853Jenny Lind Trunk -- AfterMy big Fat Flat Top

Braveheart1954Braveheart1954 likes this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
trunkmantrunkman loves this.

passion4tr…

I don't know much about this small trunk except it is dome in nature and in excellent condition. Some Anonymous person drop it off out side my home. They never came back.

The metal is a grey silver not holes and very smooth. Does not look like it had been a different color before. All I did to it was give it a bath in soap and water. A light sanding then tung oil on the whole thing.

All the original hard ware is in working condition, but I have no key for the lock. That's O.K I am the only person that I could lock out.

Don't know the year maybe 1890'2

Comments

1. trunkman trunkman, 2 years ago
    Wow -- that is a beauty. Looks like a zinc covered trunk-- does the metal have a blueish hue to it? You say that it is small -- is it a doll trunk? I would say 1890's too. You have nice anonymous people around you!
  2. passion4trunks passion4trunks, 2 years ago
    Thank you, trunkman. There is what I though a greenish hue to the trunk. My eyes are not what they used to be. So It could in fact be blue. Is there another way to test it to find out if it is zinc?

I believe this is a doll trunk. I don't have the dimensions with me. I do remember it fits inside a Dome Trunk with extra room to spare.
  3. trunkman trunkman, 2 years ago
    Style age and type tell me it is a zinc covered trunk -- if it was tin it would most likely have been painted or embossed. I have a zinc covered trunk on my site -- just for comparison. It is a beautiful trunk.
  4. hmsantiquetrunks.com hmsantiquetrunks.com, 2 years ago
    Hello. Your trunk is not a Toy Trunk (Doll Trunk) It is just a smaller size travel trunk. It could be a Zinc covered trunk, and many were done without any embossing. The way to tell is to put a magnet to it, if it sticks, it is steel, if not then it is Zinc. It is kinda late for a Zinc trunk, but possible. Your trunk is a Cross Slat design, and these were made after 1880. This is around the time they stopped making pure Zinc covered trunks. It appears that the photo showing the end shows some Tin remains. The majority of flat metal trunks were hot Tin dipped producing a crystallized finish. This was then covered with a translucent varnish that was colored with Gold, Blue, Red, Orange, or Green. Over time the Tin (being as soft as it is) wears away from friction, and moisture in the air. The end result is what your trunk looks like, and many confuse it with Zinc. Test it, and you will know for sure. Anyway, nice trunk.
    Jim
    HMSAntiquetrunks.com
  5. passion4trunks passion4trunks, 2 years ago

I will look at your site for comparison.
  6. passion4trunks passion4trunks, 2 years ago
    Hi Jim,
    Don't know if you will remember me. I had called you about a Louis Vuitton cabin trunk. Vuitton was not some thing you work on, but you were very helpful to me in what I could do with the trunk.

You also had a trunk for sale that I was to buy, but was unable to do to My mother passing away. t I was a bet of a mess, and spaced out on the trunk.
    I am sorry.

We also talked about crystallized finish. I used a magnet on the trunk. It did not stick. So does that mean it's zinc. I can post other pictures. if that would help.

Nancy

7. hmsantiquetrunks.com hmsantiquetrunks.com, 2 years ago
    Yes, it means your trunk is Zinc covered. These trunks can have a fantastic appearance. The Zinc turns a beautiful Grey color over time. However, sometimes dirt, and other contaminants will hide the patina. You can lightly sand the Zinc with a very fine steel wool. This will remove the bad without removing the patina. It will also smooth out the finish. You can then protect it by hand applying a coat of Tung oil (low sheen). I will try and post a picture of one I did a while ago.
    Jim
    HMSAntiquetrunks.com
  8. hmsantiquetrunks.com hmsantiquetrunks.com, 2 years ago
    I am not sure I can post a photo in the comments, so email me, and I will send it to you.
    jimcardoza@pacbell.net
  9. trunkman trunkman, 2 years ago
    As an example of this type of trunk with the sheen done as mentioned by jim take a look at my posting and you will see a zinc covered trunk. I also used some sliced lemons to clean up the zinc. (I think the fine steel wool was more effective)
  10. passion4trunks passion4trunks, 2 years ago
    @ trunk man. I saw your zinc trunk. very nice. You used lemon on the zinc? Is it because of the acid in a lemon?
  11. trunkman trunkman, 2 years ago
    Yes the lemon is a light acid that helps clean it up a bit.
  12. passion4trunks passion4trunks, 2 years ago
    Thank you all for the love.