Share your favorites on Show & Tell

RARE! SF Call Bulletin Newspaper Pre-1960's Canvas Paperboy Delivery Saddle Bag

In Paper > Newspapers > Show & Tell and Bags > Show & Tell.
Newspapers48 of 137JUNE 14, 1964 POLITICAL CARTOON. SAN FRANCISCO EXAMINERNew York Sun, Dated Monday, December 8, 1941
0
Love it
0
Like it

Add to collection

Please create an account, or Log in here

If you don't have an account, create one here.


Create a Show & TellReport as inappropriate



Posted 1 year ago

Email

Celiene
(15 items)

RARE canvas Newspaper delivery over-the-shoulders 2-sided saddle bag. San Francisco Newspaper history. Randolph Hearst Newspaper history. San Francisco Political history! Mark Twain wrote for an early version of the Call. The paper was called the San Francisco Call-Bulletin between 1929-1959. MOST of these Call-Bulletin bags were probably destroyed when the paper changed its name in 1959, and for sure they were when the paper merged with the Examiner in 1965.

RARE COLLECTIBLE - newspapers are dying and they deliver by car or van now - IF they deliver at all! EXCELLENT condition - a little rust on a few rivets, and one of the d-rings. ALL COMPELTE! (I actually ran it through the washing machine YEARS ago! It's been in storage ever since!)

FROM WIKI:

Between December 1856 and March 1895 The San Francisco Call was named The Morning Call, but its name was changed when it was purchased by John D. Spreckels. In the period from 1863 to 1864 Mark Twain worked as one of the paper's writers.

In 1913 M. H. de Young, owner of the San Francisco Chronicle, purchased the paper and sold it to William Randolph Hearst who brought in editor Fremont Older, former editor of the San Francisco Evening Bulletin. In December of that year (1913), Hearst merged The San Francisco Call with the Evening Post and the papers became The San Francisco Call & Post.

Its most famous editor, crusading journalist Fremont Older agitated for years against civic corruption and colluded with wealthy San Franciscan sugar baron Rudolph Spreckels to bring down the Mayor, Eugene Schmitz and political boss, Abe Ruef.

On 29 August 1929, the newspaper name was changed again to the San Francisco Call-Bulletin, when the San Francisco Call & Post merged with the San Francisco Bulletin. In 1959 the San Francisco Call-Bulletin merged with Scripps-Howard's San Francisco News becoming the News-Call Bulletin. In 1965 the paper merged with the San Francisco Examiner.

Want to post a comment?

Create an account or login in order to post a comment.