3 1/2 inch bisque doll with dog

In Dolls > German Dolls > Show & Tell and Dolls > Bisque Dolls > Show & Tell.
German Dolls34 of 124Frozen Charlie Doll - Germany 1850's...Ari Doll, Germany

robinleerobinlee loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

Syriia
(1 item)

I haven't been able to find anything out much of anything about this little doll and am hoping someone from this site will be able to tell me a little bit about her.

My mom found these two at a garage sale about 35 years ago. The only identifying mark on the pair of 'em is the word "germany" on the little girl's back, which I tried to take a picture of, but it is difficult to see. My grandmother, who was a doll collector in Kansas (and one of about a dozen practicing wax doll makers in the US when she died), told my mom long ago it was a valuable little doll and borrowed it several times to take to doll shows. However, now both my grandmother and mother are gone and I can't seem to find out anything about her! Any help identifying girl and/or dog would be appreciated.

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    It is a German Kewpie type doll and Kewpie type"Kewpie Doodle dog "
    These dolls were produced in about 1920's and were a take off on Rose O'Neill's original Kewpie . Many companies jumped on the band wagon and made them from Germany,Japan,USA . They were also given as carnival prizes . Yours has a hair ribbon it is just a added little feature that companies did . They also came with glass eyes which are sought after . The dog was this dolls or acquired to be the kewpie Doodle dog . He was Kewpie's dog but again yours is not an original Kewpie so both have slight variations. Very cute ! The dog would have the most value as he is harder to find .
  2. Syriia, 1 year ago
    Thank you! I thought this little doll looked sort of like a kewpie doll, but also just different enough to be confusing. Do you know of a website that would have more information about dolls of this type? I have been searching fairly extensively and I have not found one. Thank you for the information :-)
  3. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago

PS these are sometimes also referred as Betty Boop type dolls depends on who you ask :-) both terms are ok . Kewpie look a like or Betty Boop Type doll
  4. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago