Posted 4 years ago
WW11 Civilian Fire brigade plasfort (plastic fibre) helmet. This is one of three helmets found amongst others in the old building used by the SCOTSMAN newspaper in Edinburgh in WW11.
All appear painted by the same person as letters all appear the same and hand painted, freehand, not using a stencil.The Scotsman was launched in 1817 as a liberal weekly newspaper by lawyer William Ritchie and customs official Charles Maclaren in response to the "unblushing subservience" of competing newspapers to the Edinburgh establishment. The paper was pledged to "impartiality, firmness and independence". After the abolition of newspaper stamp tax in Scotland in 1850, The Scotsman was relaunched as a daily newspaper priced at 1d and a circulation of 6,000 copies