Black Beauty "Arlington Edition"

In Books > Show & Tell.
Books708 of 1784Charles DickensThe Beatles Yesterday...Today...and Tomorrow book.

aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
bratjddbratjdd loves this.
tom61375tom61375 loves this.
aeonaeon likes this.
HornetHornet loves this.
pw-collectorpw-collector loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.

Hunter

Hi All,

I got this copy of "Black Beauty" by Anna Sewell at a library sale and haven't been able to locate the year/edition. The publisher listed is Hurst and Company, New York but there is no copyright information or publishing date...

I've seen other Arlington Editions with the same design on the cover, and I'm guessing they date to the early 20th century 1900-1910s. Any clues?

Lovely old book regardless. :)

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. Hunter Hunter, 2 years ago
    here's a similar cover style from Arlington, also with no date :(

2. Hunter Hunter, 2 years ago
    hahaha, thanks for the info MustangTony. Great to know that it was probably pre-1900. Pretty early for Black Beauty since it was first published in 1877...it's bizarre to me that it wouldn't have a copyright page at all (and it doesn't seem to be missing any).

happy thanksgiving!
  3. kerry10456 kerry10456, 2 years ago
    Wouldn't know how to date, but mustangtony has been pretty straight in some of my postings with dating them, and Thanks to you and Joanna. :-)
  4. Hunter Hunter, 2 years ago
    thanks kerry and bellin!

Kerry, I threw one of your watch collections up on our homepage (scroll down to the bottom)...coming along very nicely. I think Joanna finished restoring all the old posts - if not she'll finish them up next monday when we're back from the holiday.
  5. kerry10456 kerry10456, 2 years ago
    Hunter, Joanna has all of them re-posted. I really like the "Featured Collection" on the Homepage, Thanks again for all you help and Wish you and yours a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving. Pleas pass the wishes and thanks along to all the Staff also.
    Kerry
  6. Hunter Hunter, 2 years ago
    Great to hear Kerry!

All the best thanksgiving wishes to you guys too - hope you get as stuffed as I did! :)
  7. kerry10456 kerry10456, 2 years ago
    Oh my stomach is still fluffy, okay "Fat" would be a better word. :-). Thank you for the T-Day wishes and have a great evening,
  8. Hornet Hornet, 2 years ago
    Hi Hunter . Nice find .
    Ciao
    : )
    Merry X mas
  9. Hunter Hunter, 2 years ago
    Thanks Hornet :) Have a wonderful holiday, too!