LOETZ: MELON RIND CISELE, 1896-1900

In Art Glass > Loetz Art Glass > Show & Tell and Art Nouveau > Show & Tell.
Loetz Art Glass747 of 1139Loetz Mimosa  - Rosa?Czeck/Bohemian Glass Iridescent Tall Threaded Vase

coloricolori loves this.
inkyinky loves this.
dlfd911dlfd911 loves this.
peteypetey loves this.
czechmanczechman loves this.
LondonloetzlearnerLondonloetzlearner loves this.

Alfredo

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN . . . UNLESS YOU ARE A 100 YEAR+ OLD VASE DOCUMENTED IN RICKE II.

1. I COINED THE TERM "MELON RIND" FOR QUITE OBVIOUS REASONS. II 333 (1898); 346-715 (1900). THERE IS ALSO A SMALL VERSION IN RUSTICANA, AND I HAVE SEEN THE SAME SIZE IN BRONZE GLATT.

2. I -6649 (1896-1898). THE EWER SHAPE COMES FROM GREEK AND ROMAN TIMES.

3. A CHRISTOPHER DRESSER DESIGN: II 346-371 (1898). I HAVE IT IN THREE DIFFERENT DECORS. CAN SOMEONE SPARE A DIANA? IT'S NOTHING BUT MELON RIND APPLIED TO AN OPAQUE GREEN/GRAY GROUND.,

4. THANK GOD THESE CYLINDERS WOULD NOT ATTRACT ANY HIGH ENDER. YET THEY ARE DOCUMENTED: II 765 (1900). BY THE WAY, THEY ARE NOT MELON RIND.

IT'S QUITE SPOOKY TO BE SURROUNDED BY GLASS THAT, BARRING ANOTHER 1% YUPPIE ATTACK, WILL SURVIVE LONG AFTER I AM LIVING IN GLASS HEAVEN.

Comments

1. czechman czechman, 2 years ago
    Very nice examples and love the shapes
  2. czechman czechman, 2 years ago
    the ewer is absolutey gorgeous!!
  3. LoetzDance LoetzDance, 2 years ago
    As you know, I love studying the colors that Loetz produced. Diana is the name that Loetz used to describe a particular color of green. Interestingly, all of the green spotted vases (II-341, I-6649 & II-251, respectively) are listed as "Diana cisele" in the decor section of Band 2. When the Diana green spots are applied to an "OPAQUE GREEN/GRAY GROUND" (such as the decor exhibited in your pitcher PN II-160) it is then described as "Ozone cisele". I believe the confusion was created by the plaque in case 57 in the PGM which lists the top row of vases as "Diana Cisele". I have looked up every shape on this row and 90% of them are listed in the decor section of Band 2 as "Ozone Cisele".
  4. Alfredo Alfredo, 2 years ago
    Tell the Czechs, not me. Is there a whiff of pedantry in the air? I remember looking Ozone, it has a bluish, not a green/gray color.
  5. Alfredo Alfredo, 2 years ago
    My problem: I had no visual image of "ozone" as a color. I also have a real problem accepting the wildly different variety of decors dumped under Ciselé. so I have spent the morning researching the topic. Anyone not on the Kralik list wanting to receive the document, please write me at alfavil@aol.com