Loetz Phanomen 377 Shade in Orange

In Art Nouveau > Show & Tell and Art Glass > Loetz Art Glass > Show & Tell.
Art Nouveau948 of 1589Antique Ornante 3 tier fan table.Miss Saylor's Unusual Chocolates Ad Sign 1920's

pops52pops52 loves this.
JustanoviceJustanovice loves this.
dlfd911dlfd911 loves this.
famatta127famatta127 loves this.
LoetzBuddiesLoetzBuddies loves this.
GreatsnowyowlGreatsnowyowl loves this.

cogito

Phanomen 377 decor pieces seem to be the rage around here. I was lucky to find a rare base color example in orange to add to the CW mix. Based upon my discussions with those more knowledgable than I about Loetz, Phanomen 377 can also be found in Russian green and Thea base colors, in addition to what has already been posted on CW. By my accounting, this means that there are 5 possible base color types for Loetz Phanomen 377 production with three (Orange, Thea and Russian green) being the rarest.

Loetz globe shade in the Phanomen 377 decor and base orange color. The lava aspect of the 377 decor on this shade has heavy, electric blue iridescence, which contrasts notably with the base color and makes for an interesting transition as the decor evolves from the base to the top. Production ~1901. Dimensions: 6"(diameter) x 3.13"(fitter).

Comments

1. dasullywon dasullywon, 2 years ago
    Wow, that's a great one Jeff! I don't think I have ever seen PG 377 in this color; thanks for posting it.
  2. cogito cogito, 2 years ago
    Thanks, Dan. Thanks all for the loves. I'll update the photos once I get the shade and put it on my Gurschner lamp. I got this shade as a replacement for a PK shade I have on that lamp (see here: http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/47704-1901-gustav-gurschner-bronze-maiden-lamp). I've been biding my time for a proper Loetz shade that would have been produced proximal to the Gurschner base (1901).
  3. dasullywon dasullywon, 2 years ago
    Yes, I'd love to see the shade on the lamp, so I'll be looking forward to THAT posting! These shades always look best on a period lamp. Was Gurschner the primary maker of the lamps with Loetz shades? Were there others?
  4. dasullywon dasullywon, 2 years ago
    Just read your other posting (should have read it first). That's a beautiful lamp. So who did make most of the lamps with Loetz shades?
  5. cogito cogito, 2 years ago
    Dan, it's hard to say. From period references there are a few documented Gurschner lamps with Loetz phanomen type shades, but then there are more recent lamps of his with decidely latter shade marriages. I don't have the reference works to tell, but I suspect that E. Bakalowitz Söhne probably made the most use of Loetz shades...particularly for single pendant type fixtures.