Silver overlaid glass Decanter

In Art Glass > Show & Tell and Sterling Silver > Art Nouveau Sterling Silver > Show & Tell.
Art Glass6883 of 10638RUCKL LAMPS FROM A PRIVATE COLLECTION.Please help I'd this awesome glass bowl with original paper tag

LoriLovesVintageLoriLovesVintage loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
inkyinky loves this.
LaureniscontentLaureniscontent loves this.
chinabluechinablue loves this.
BHock45BHock45 loves this.

Hems303

This I believe is from the early 20th Century. Other than that; I know very little.

The Story:
I am an avid Collector* hence my presence on Collectors Weekly (*Although not of "vases" nor "decanters"). My ever supportive wife is definately NOT a collector, however.........

She did see this for auction and fell in love with it. I PROMISED HER, that I would get it for her. During the Auction I "took my eye off of the ball" as they say: I became distracted and lost out to another bidder who was paying attention!

Anyone with ANY information, I (we) would be glad to learn!

I have posted this as I think everyone will agree; it is "beautiful" in the truest sense of the word!

Comments

1. BHock45 BHock45, 2 years ago
    Hi Hems303...I do not know anything about this either, but when I saw mustangtony mention "Steuben", it reminded me of something I came across a few days ago. I will post the conversation below:

"I recently discovered an interesting fact about G, W & D, and I thought I would pass it along. Apparently Graff, Washbourne and Dunn were contracted to Steuben glass to provide silver accessories. I found a very interesting bar spoon with the G, W & D mark, as well as Steuben in script. The spoon must have been made to accompany a glass martini pitcher, I would imagine."

Anyhow, when I did a search for "Graff, Washbourne & Dunn steuben perfume bottle" and clicked on "IMAGES" several of your silver perfume bottles like those above came up. I do not know if this provides you with additional info. But it can't hurt. Later!
  2. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 2 years ago
    the sterling overlay is almost certainly Alvin.
  3. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 2 years ago
    didn't read what you wrote. BHock. Not trying to be contradictory. that style of silver overlay often ends up being Alvin. It could very well be what you say.
  4. inky inky, 2 years ago
    Lovely. Merry Christmas Hem .....:-)
  5. BHock45 BHock45, 2 years ago
    Hi Greatsnowyowl. No worries! I am sure you are correct, as I was taking a wild stab. Lovely item Hems303, Merry Christmas to all!
  6. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 2 years ago
    I've seen alvin on loetz. I've seen it on steuben. I've seen it on baccarat.. Metal companies sourced glass from all over to decorate.
  7. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 2 years ago
    and then it was sold where ever it had demand. There were markets for this kind of glass all over the world.
  8. cogito cogito, 2 years ago
    I agree with GSO. Alvin is a likely producer of the overlay. We need to distinguish, however, between the overlay maker and the underlying glass. That being said, Gorham and LaPierre would be two other possible American silver overlay producers working in this style. Is the piece/overlay marked?
  9. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    cogito: This one got away...I lost it at auction so I can't say if any markings. The photo's came from the auction house. (I always use my own photo's from my own collections, but in this case I broke my own rule as I want to try and track similar down for the wife who was upset I lost it to another bidder!)

Thanks for all the useful comments above, I am really learning here, and will know what to look out for in future, this not being one of my "specialities".
  10. twentiethc, 2 years ago
    The shape is classic Steuben. Most often seen in various colors. It does not mean others did not make the shape, but my first thought whenever I see this shape is Steuben. Every one (so far) was confirmed to be Steuben after inspection.