Kralik? Or something else?

In Art Glass > Show & Tell and Art Glass > Bohemian Art Glass > Show & Tell.
Art Glass5962 of 9968Pallme- koenig frit perfumeLovely Aseda blue color tint!

Decodino58Decodino58 loves this.
GreatsnowyowlGreatsnowyowl loves this.
manddmoirmanddmoir loves this.
cogitocogito loves this.
magdalenagirlmagdalenagirl loves this.
dlfd911dlfd911 loves this.

Londonloet…

I haven't posted anything for a while, as it's been really busy, so I thought I'd get back in the saddle with something I absolutely love while my sons are outside playing in the snow. It doesn't happen often here in the centre of London!
The quality of this piece is stunning. If I had to stake my house on an attribution, I would probably go with Kralik because of the similarity of the corrugated layer to some of the Kralik ribbed twisted pieces on kralik-glass.com, among other things. But then it also reminds me a little of some Rindskopf pieces ... So, I don't really know, and with my record on attributions, I bet I will be shown to be wrong in about 5 minutes. Given the quality of the gilding, there is also a chance, I suspect, that this was a blank made by one firm and then refined by someone else ...
One thing I am pretty sure of though - I don't think it's Loetz. But it is the quality of good Loetz.
I think you would call this a cameo piece as the corrugated, iridised outer finish is cut back in panels to show the clear layer underneath, which is itself polished beautifully smooth, as is the base and the large pontil. There then appears to be a thin, opalescent vaseline layer as the final interior layer, although it is difficult to tell exactly how the layers work as the rim is gilded.
The gilding on both the corrugated and the cut back sections is superb. Absolutely beautiful. It is hard to capture the quality of the gilding and the rainbow iridescence in my poor photographs, but I have done my best. As you can see, the uranium glow on this piece is stunning too.
I just love it. It is one of my favourite pieces.

Comments

1. cogito cogito, 2 years ago
    I think Kralik, too. This is the second acid-etched or cutback type vase with additional gilding I've seen this week. The other was attributed to Kralik, as well.
  2. cogito cogito, 2 years ago
    An alternative could be Reidel. They also produced mixed method type vases like this, but Kralik would still be my 1st choice.
  3. Londonloetzlearner Londonloetzlearner, 2 years ago
    Yes - the gilding made me think of Riedel too.
  4. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 2 years ago
    They are in the pmc as kralik
  5. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 2 years ago
    I have one too
  6. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 2 years ago
    Yup. :) although given the european tendancy to lump by family I wonder if these might more properly be myers neffe with that serious persian styling
  7. famatta127 famatta127, 2 years ago
    Superb piece. A great mix of techniques on the iridescent corrugated ground. Last one I saw had an enameled rim. Does this one also?
  8. Londonloetzlearner Londonloetzlearner, 2 years ago
    Thank you, all - for the loves and the comments. Kralik it is. Nice to know my eye is improving!
    Famatta 127, the rim is thickly gilded, like the edge of the panels.
  9. czechman czechman, 2 years ago
    Beautiful piece Nicole, Congrats...and uranium to boot!
  10. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    This is beautiful!
    I think I could go along with the Meyers Neffe attribution .
  11. Londonloetzlearner Londonloetzlearner, 2 years ago
    Thank you, Czechman & Ozmarty. I must do some more Meyer's Neffe research.
    Thank you, too, Inky.
  12. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    At Least one of the Merers Neffe huttes had at differnt times belonged to Loetz Kralik and Rückl
  13. ozmarty ozmarty, 2 years ago
    Annín (Annathal)
    Height: 525 m

The village developed around a glassworks. Mayor Augustin Muller of Kašperské Mountains / Bergreichenstein had the cabin end of the 18th Century. renovated and named after his wife Anna (Anna Thal - Annín). The original hut was deleted 1755th After the reopening produced one crystal and Patterl (rosary beads). In 1808, Paul purchased Meyr the hut. Emperor Francis II gave it to the rediscovery of the production of ruby ??glass a medal. Under Meyer's leadership, the glassworks flourished to 1817. Then she got into financial difficulties and was closed. Twenty years later, Johann Loetz resume operation. He built a new grinding and introduced the production of hollow glass.

In 1863 the factory produced under the direction of JE Schmid was the first in Austria-Hungary, pink, red glass. Schmid built one of the largest and most modern glassworks in Bohemia. To her included a grinding with combined steam and water power. Schmid produced simple, decorated with Venetian glass techniques hut forms that have been performed mainly to England. He left for his employees in Annín build some houses, Annín linked by a bridge to the road to Kašperské Mountains, built a hotel, a telephone network and a hydroelectric power plant, one of the first in Bohemia.

Following Schmid's death in 1910 his son František Novotný was the first in Austria-Hungary, the technology of chemical polishing of glass. It is ground and polished crystal glass produced. Known to have been mainly the traditional Annín-cups and trophies. In 1934, for the first time in Czechoslovakia, the melted glass electrically. At that time, the modernized new owner - entrepreneur Karl Schell from Dlouhá Ves (Langendorf) - the basic hut. Originally called the glass factory and functional glass violins.

After 1945 in Annín only the lead glass grinding was in operation. Today the glass factory is a protected monument. In 1993 she took over the company and Antonín Rückl sons. 2003 ended its own production, the local glass makers, however, are trying to save the operation.

And from another source :-

We continued along the Wottawa to a bridge has to be quite broad river. Over there you can reach the place Annathal (Annin), where there used to be also a very famous glass factory. After her even the uranium glass is named, which is also called "yellow nail". Several years ago, here's a glass-cutting, in the beautiful lead crystal glasses and vases were ground
  14. Londonloetzlearner Londonloetzlearner, 2 years ago
    Thanks Marty. Of course, those Bohemian glass dynasties bring a whole new meaning to the phrase "keeping it in the family"!
  15. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    Kralik was in fact one of Meyer's nephews by marriage.
    The other nephew, a blood relation, was Josef Taschner.

Wilhelm Kralik married Meyr’s niece Anna Pinhak (1814-1850) in 1831.
    In 1862 Wilhelm Kralik took over all the Meyr's business in the center of Eleonorenhain. He then put it under the name "Meyrs Neffen". With Johann Meyr’s death in 1841 Wilhelm Kralik und Josef Taschner took over the Glashütten Adolf und Eleonorenhain: "Meyrs Neffen". In 1862 when Taschner died it reverted to the name "Meyrs Neffe" under Wilhelm Kralik.
    Wilhelm Kralik, Ritter von Meyrswalden (1806-1877) took the title "von Meyrswalden" as a tribute to his uncle.
  16. Slave-to-glass Slave-to-glass, 2 years ago
    Amazing!
  17. SteveS SteveS, 2 years ago
    From the Muzeum Sumavy book on Johann Lotz "Glas aus dem Bohmerwald":
    1822 Glasshutte Goldbrunn
    1826 "Johann Lotz, Schmid und Sohn"
    1829/30 "Lotz & Schmid"
    1831 Johann Lotz Witwe
    1837 Glasshutte Annathal
    1851 Klostermuhle
    1862 Neuhurkenthal in Schuttenhoffen
    1866 Josef Schmid Jnr (the Sohn above died)
    Think I have thee translations right, there is a lot more of the history there which goes beyond my translation skills
  18. Londonloetzlearner Londonloetzlearner, 2 years ago
    Thanks, Vet - I was aware of the Kralik nephew connection. Thank you too, SteveS.
    The inter-marriages between all these families -Riedel, Kralik, Meyr, Welz etc are quite something to track through - hence my comment! You need to be a genealogist to collect this stuff.
  19. Londonloetzlearner Londonloetzlearner, 2 years ago
    Thank you, STG! Thank yous also to Bratjdd, Lisa-lighting, ks85, MacArt, Al & AmberRose.
  20. Londonloetzlearner Londonloetzlearner, 2 years ago
    Thank you, Sean! Nice to have you drop in!
  21. Londonloetzlearner Londonloetzlearner, 2 years ago
    All the way through. There seems to be a thick nearly clear vaseline layer (you can see it at the base in the pics) then a very thin opaque vaseline layer as the final interior layer. Both the clear and the opaque layers glow.
  22. epson233 epson233, 2 years ago
    beautiful piece -- thanks for posting -- lots of good information here
  23. Londonloetzlearner Londonloetzlearner, 2 years ago
    Interesting. I checked again with the small black light too, and definitely both layers glow.
  24. Londonloetzlearner Londonloetzlearner, 2 years ago
    Thanks, epson233.
  25. Londonloetzlearner Londonloetzlearner, 2 years ago
    Thank you, Leah!
  26. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 2 years ago
    I just got a new one of these over the weekend. I don't have it yet. I know the one I have now is not uranium glass.
  27. Londonloetzlearner Londonloetzlearner, 2 years ago
    Looking forward to the post of them both, when the new one arrives, GSO.
    Thanks, Mac63.
  28. jericho jericho, 2 years ago
    Cool family resemblance, i would just add that the blank appears to be a kralik decor but the grinding cut back is more riedel to me...also the enameling around the cuts is so smooth...to me it doesnt matches the Kralik cameos (that are similar) ...it is more refined, beautiful
  29. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 2 years ago
    that's why I suspect these are actually meyrs neffen
  30. Londonloetzlearner Londonloetzlearner, 2 years ago
    Thanks Jericho, and GSO. The enamelling and indeed the cameo work on this piece are very smooth and refined. Really superb work. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a refined blank. The enamelling work is certainly, to my inexperienced eye, reminiscent of the quality of Riedel or Meyr's Neffe.
  31. Londonloetzlearner Londonloetzlearner, 2 years ago
    Thanks too, to MiKKoChristmas11, guyfrmatl, and Czechfan.
  32. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 2 years ago
    Riedel was not a refiner. if it's decorated by them it's made by them. I didn't mean refined by Meyrs Neffe either. I meant made and decorated by. The czechs consider MN and Kralik one and the same. For the most part they just all everything Kralik which means some of that Kralik is actually meyrs neffe. To me this appears like it could be a straight case of that.
  33. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 2 years ago
    damn I wish I could erase that. that's actually not entirely true now that I think about it. I've been told that riedel did indeed at times get glass from Harrach and they did share a decorating studio for awhile. But I don't think that was wide spread. they had huge glassmaking facilities.
  34. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 2 years ago
    my new piece is also not uranium infused. it's a pink base glass much like the marquetry pieces. I am back to thinking Passau is correct with their Kralik designation.