Vintage 800 sterling enameled round silver brooch pin

In Fine Jewelry > Victorian and Edwardian Jewelry > Show & Tell and Sterling Silver > Show & Tell.
Victorian and Edwardian Jewelry291 of 440Vintage Amethyst pendant 9cr and modern Amethyst bead necklace Antique French Victorian Carved Cameo Marcasite Silver Brooch

freiheitfreiheit loves this.
DrFluffyDrFluffy loves this.
JonoJono loves this.
aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
BHock45BHock45 loves this.
neilvbcolloctablesneilvbcolloctables loves this.
PoopPoop loves this.
ThriftyGypsyThriftyGypsy loves this.
amykathleen66amykathleen66 loves this.
HunterHunter loves this.
crabbykinscrabbykins loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
NewtimesNewtimes loves this.

Agram.m

This antique 800 sterling enameled (black and blue) silver Brooch is from German origin. The shield emblem has a picture of lions and a crown. The brooch was probably made after 1888's. The back of the brooch is hallmarked with a hallmark depicting a crown and 800 R.E. Measurement: diameter 3 cm . This brooch is in very good vintage condition. I think to see a rose and a tulip what could indicating a Dutch origin because Holland is the Tulip country. But I know already this is not the case although it could be a Dutch shield emblem. Please see pictures for a better description of the item.
Is there a collector who could be tell more about the shield emblem or the manufacturer/designer?

Comments

1. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    BELLIN68, thanks for your quick, nice comment and loving!
  2. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    Mustangtony thanks for loving
  3. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    blunderbuss2 thanks also for your support by loving
  4. amandabuns amandabuns, 2 years ago
    The shield is the Dutch Royal Arms. Very nice!
  5. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    Amandabuns thanks for your informative comment
  6. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    Vertrai050 thanks for loving
  7. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    Agram are you sure that is a Dutch mark? Is it not German?
  8. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    Vetrai050 I at first I was'n sure but after (above) the hint from amandabuns it's the shield of the Royal Dutch Army . I looked it up and she was right. But it would still be possible that the brooch was made in Germany because I could not find the origin of the hallmark. Perhaps you did because of your suggestion? Please inform me? Thanks a lot in advance.
  9. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    Vetrai050 I forget something; a German old silver hallmark is first a crescent moon than a crown (another form than this) and than 800 R.E. that's why I think it is not German.
  10. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    I know the Halb Mond und Krone was not there in full. But look at the right side of the box and you'll see a fair amount of space before the edge. On there left there's none and the edge is curved. Hmm.
    Another thought is that the Dutch marks don't have a Crown 800 like this at all.
    Check out this site.
    I think it's actually a German mark. The 'HalB Mond' is missing.

I would have said this earlier when I first saw the piece except that I, like you, have not been able to find the maker "RE" on the net.
    I'm also interested by that mark on the clasping picture 3.
    It looks like an "L".
    There might even be more marks there too.

By the way the Verwoed site is an interesting one for Delft jewellery.
    Have a look around, you may like it.

I also had a look at the Dutch "Rijkswapen'.
    What interests me is the band of four roses around the shield of Nassau.

That's all I have come up with so far.

11. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    vetrai050 your comment is the reason why I am so fond of this Collectors Weekly sites. The enthusiasm with which you and other collectors take the trouble to look and think to find the origin of the jewelry shown is fantastic. Many, many thanks for that, I'm very grateful.
    Because in my opinion it's not a German mark is the form of the crown. The form of the hallmark on the German hallmark is not as high as the one on the brooch.
    I took another good look at the c-clasp under a magnifier and the only mark I see could also be a V written in elegant Italics. But I must admit I'm still not sure! I changed photo number 4 with another more clear picture of this hallmark. Perhaps you can figure out more than I do? In any case again thanks for all your work!
  12. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    MrsAR8Jason and crabbykins thanks a lot for your support and loving.
  13. amandabuns amandabuns, 2 years ago
    Well it seems like the mystery is slowly unraveling. Good luck!
  14. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    amandabuns it seems so, but not all! Up till now we cannot figure out the maker's mark on photo 4? Thanks for your comment.
  15. amandabuns amandabuns, 2 years ago

Found it here on a page of German mystery marks, 8 up from the bottom.

Sorry I know that's not exceptionally helpful.
  16. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    Well done amandabuns! At least we know it is a "mystery mark".
    Agram, can you give a translation of "mystery mark" in German?

I've tried a google search of ' German silver mark crown 800 "RE" '

The inverted commas demand 'RE' in the search.

Can you try something like that in German?

Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut!

You've pulled one out of the hat here, Agram!
    Magic!
  17. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    Vetrai050, a translation of Mystery Mark is: Geheimnisvoller Punze. I'll hope I write it in the good way, because German is also for me a foreign language although it resemble a lot of my mother tongue which is Dutch.
    So we know, you are right from the beginning, the brooch has a German origin
    but probably we never know the maker. Also a fact,the brooch is made after 1886.
    Again many many thanks for all your efforts and investigations, I'm very grateful as I'm AMANDABUNS she's got the final clue. If I ever can help each one of you two, please be welcome!!!!!
  18. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    I apologize Agram, I had it in my head that you were German.
  19. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    Vetrai050 Dont'matter, foreigners often thinks that we Dutch are German. Our languages seem also to much alike . But it is and remains a foreign language also for us. But thanks to you great help I know now that my brooch is from German origin. It would be even nicer to know what coat of arms it is and who's the maker. But despite my reseaching on German heraldik sites I am not (yet) behind.
    I will also change my intro of this brooch to give a true background.
    Thanks again you are a great help!
  20. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    Hunter, thanks a lot for loving and interest!
  21. amandabuns amandabuns, 2 years ago
    You're welcome!
  22. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    Amykathleen66 thanks for loving.
  23. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    PhilDavidAlexanderMorris thanks also for loving this brooch.
  24. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    The border of roses is beautifully done along with the cut of the coat of arms, it is a work of art !~Phil.
  25. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, thanks for your nice comment and compliment I appreciate it!
  26. Poop Poop, 2 years ago
    I thought that would be british
  27. gardinerth, 7 months ago
    I don't know much about it, but I thought the German mark after 1886 wasn't just the crown, but crown and moon. there is no moon on this piece.