Art Nouveau lamp

In Art Nouveau > Show & Tell and Lamps > Slag Glass Lamps > Show & Tell.
Art Nouveau987 of 1694My Lovely 'KRALIK PAPILLON' VaseKralik syrup pitcher

cogitocogito loves this.
PhilDavidAlexanderMorrisPhilDavidAlexanderMorris loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.

AntiqueRoo…
(1 item)

I bought this lamp 25 years ago at an antique store in San Francisco area, the store wanted $1300, i paid $900. i probably overpaid but i just fell in love with it. Does anyone know what kind of metal this is? Should I be polishing this?
Thanks for any info

Comments

1. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    No don't polish base . I have a few similar and I do wipe them off with a slightly damp cloth . But I am not an expert just thought I would tell you what I do and I have never had any problems . But no polish . Very nice lamp ! love it
  2. vetraio50 vetraio50, 2 years ago
    Manikin is right. No polish, ever!
  3. Stillwater Stillwater, 2 years ago
    NOOO polish. Unless you want to lose more money on it, lol
    Looks like brass or bronze, but it could be spelter. See if you can find any grey metal showing
  4. AntiqueRookie, 2 years ago
    Thanks! Got it, no polishing.
  5. JohannB JohannB, 2 years ago
    I used to have one just like this that was made by Rainaud. It is spelter or white metal. Value is roughly $500 or so. Thank you for sharing.
  6. cogito cogito, 2 years ago
    I concur with the Rainaud attribution. We have an example with the same base, but all one color and a slightly different shade. The base metal on these is spelter that has been "cold painted." You made a good buy. If I get the time, I'll post our version of this lamp.
  7. AntiqueRookie, 2 years ago
    Thanks for all the info, interesting how the base is painted.
  8. cogito cogito, 2 years ago
    Here's our example, just posted to CW: