Need help identifying these DECO (!) Roycroft bookends

In Books > Bookends > Show & Tell and Arts and Crafts > Roycroft > Show & Tell.
Bookends60 of 112Hand Carved Book-EndsMid Century Modern Brass Bookends by Ben Seibel circa 1950s

bratjddbratjdd loves this.
peteeonepeteeone loves this.
sarahoffsarahoff loves this.
toolate2toolate2 loves this.
stefdesignstefdesign loves this.
mrmajestic1mrmajestic1 loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.
amandabunsamandabuns loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

Hyp-storian

Greetings all,
I recently bought this pair of copper & brass DECO-STYLE (!!) Roycroft bookends, and was hoping that someone could tell me more about them. They are 5 inches high, and I know that's a "late" (1930's?) Roycroft mark, but that's about it. As you can see, the four layers of reddish copper triangles make a beautiful contrast to the brass.

I was blown away by the ultra-deco design, and have been unable to locate even a single other pair for the sake of comparison. I'm assuming (and this is just an "assumption") that they didn't make many such sets because they probably didn't sell- seeing as how this design is SO radically different from every other "more traditional" Roycroft bookend I've ever seen!

Oddly enough, just ONE day after I bought them I came across a Roycroft pen tray on ebay with the same mark and the same basic design, and of course I bought it immediately. Perhaps one of you has seen THIS before, if not the bookends...?
Any info would be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance!

Comments

1. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    A beautiful set!
  2. AmberRose AmberRose, 1 year ago
    Really fab!
  3. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Wonderful set, I think the bookends could even date around 1914, as the signs of early art deco had started by then. Phil.
  4. Hyp-storian, 1 year ago
    Thanks for all your comments- it's nice to hear that other collectors share the same appreciation for this highly uncommon Roycroft design! I think at the time they WEREN'T appreciated because they differ too much from the "traditional" bookend designs- which is probably why I've been unable to locate another set for comparison...
  5. stefdesign stefdesign, 1 year ago
    I'm not a Roycroft expert by any means, but I do agree that it's from a later period. I know there are Roycroft catalogs out there, which have many of their designs, but I don't know anyone who has these. You might try sending your photos to Paul Jackson, who has an awesome Roycroft website: http://www.roycroftbooks.org/
    He might be willing to go through his catalogs to see when your bookends were made. Or perhaps he can help you find another source of information.
  6. Hyp-storian, 1 year ago
    Thank you kindly, Stef. I just emailed Paul, and hope he'll be able to either enlighten me himself or provide contact info for another source.
  7. peteeone peteeone, 7 months ago
    Very nice bookends; I found these similar ones on the internet:http://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/18900/page1
  8. Hyp-storian, 7 months ago
    Hi,

Yes, somewhat similar- but I've never been able to find another pair identical
    to these. I "probably" overpaid for them at $360, but I simply HAD to have them because the design appealed to me so much; and they are in very good condition (unlike those at that auction link).
    In hindsight, I've never regretted paying "too much" for anything I really loved,
    I've only regretted missing out on those things that I let go by because, at the time, I wasn't willing to "pay the piper".....