Daimler Ferret Restoration (Mills Grenades)

In Military and Wartime > Show & Tell.
Military and Wartime1296 of 3857Slide's from S.KoreaArmy Pilots and support group Western China 1944 maybe?

antiqueroseantiquerose loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
epson233epson233 loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

Hems303

Hi to all fellow CW members, I'm back from my extended trip away! On my return I found another package of equipment to go toward the "Complete Equipment Schedule" (CES) for our Daimler Ferret Armoured Car that I covered in my previous 10 Collectors Weekly posts.
So here they are..... 6 very nice (but now inert) Hand Grenades or more properly "Mills Grenades". For anyone interested this is a very good reference site:

Message to fellow CW member: blunderbuss2; Hope you and yours are well; How is the Dive/Recovery of the bronze Cannon progressing?

Comments

1. Hems303 Hems303, 1 year ago
    Here's a live link you can click on:

2. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    About time you returned from AWOL. You do realize that you left without my permission? Good to see you back. The Mills was still being used when that Ferret was in service? "The Guy Fawkes special".
    Went 2 weeks ago to ck out cannon. Sand had moved back in but we know exact location now. If I had cooperation at Xmas we would have known but now have to wait until sand shifts again. On the brighter side, - I'm still not French!
    Looks like some rust settled in during your absence or is that camoflauge?
  3. Hems303 Hems303, 1 year ago
    Thanks Blunderbuss, glad to be back..missed the weird and wonderful world of CW...re rust...if you are referring to last photo..thats undestandable as it is an early photo of the Ferret as we pulled it apart for the subsequent restoration!

Re: your Bronze Cannon recovery...it's gonna be a long job!

Had a good time while I was away...casting own lead ball ammo and some .44 ? truncated cone ammo....most interesting! Didn't get to fire B/P as yet :(
  4. Hems303 Hems303, 1 year ago
    Blunderbuss2...yes the No.36 Mills Grenade was issued in the 1960's, to in-service Ferrets!
  5. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    I like those U.S. model grenades that have an egg shaped, notched Slinky in them. They issued those to us & all that spring-steel may be shorter ranged but hell of a coverage!
    Got into a disagreement tonite with a Brit. friend about gun ownership. Told him I thought gun control advocates should be shot & anti-pot people should get stoned!
    Good news is I just ck't our weather & we have "Less than 10% chance of snow" (almost said neige & that scared me). We are down to 23 here! What happened to that global warming they keep promising?
  6. Hems303 Hems303, 1 year ago
    I don't know about the Yank equivalents but I've thrown three of these No.36 beauties in the 70's and they make a lovely melodious deep thump! (we were "rabbitting" at the time and had become a "little frustrated" with the little blighters!)

;)
  7. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Know the feeling. Good thing about the "Slinky" ones with the sheet metal covering is they don't bounce back so easily. I had one of those cast jobs hit a tree & bounce right back. It's incredible how fast we moved!
    Yeah, it's going to be awhile on the cannon. The sand moves in & out but all dependent on currents. Fishermen friends are keeping me posted. Still tee's me off knowing we had a "window" at Xmas & I couldn't get help. All these friends work here, live here and known here but don't have papers. They know that anything they do to help us also helps them but they let us down when it counted.
  8. Hems303 Hems303, 1 year ago
    Never mind mate, you'll get there in the end. It will be worthwhile, and will make a glorious CW post for us all!
  9. Hems303 Hems303, 1 year ago
    Hi Sean...bless....didn't think anyone would miss me still!..Lol I've been super busy lately, which leaves little time to myself for relaxing with my CW friends!
    I hope to get some downtime soon, to post some more junk...sorry ancient artifacts on CW.

Hope you and yours are all well :)

Steve
  10. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Hey Steve, you know I like "junk"! Good to see you back. Get any good "drive-by's" in while you were gone? Ck out the stuff this F.N.G. , BlueMax has been posting. Great stuff & seems knowledgeable. Maybe there is intelligent life on the planet. What are you going to swamp us with next?
    Waiting for currents to move the sand away from the cannons before we can do anything. Do have enthusiasm now from several but may be months before they are uncovered again. At least we know exact spot now. Got to go sabotage a few planes so I have enough work to sustain me in the style I have become accustomed to.
  11. Hems303 Hems303, 1 year ago
    Yo Blunderbuss2, just a quick "drive by" in my busy schedule...Haven't had time to post (swamp) you with anything new. Have managed to buy myself several new acquisitions but really don't know when I'll get the chance to blog/post...several big shows coming up over the next few months and lots of commissions. Keep those planes flying pal! Stay safe....and let us know when you get a dive team on those cannon!

P.S re: BlueMax ...nice kit!
  12. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Steve, now that we lost the "window" for getting that gun, it will be months before tides turn where we can get to it/them.
    Glad to hear from you, Bro. Gotten into reloading again & hope I don't get raided before I can get a permit. Trying to get a permit from the stupid "local" dutch that if they give me a permit on the dutch side that it will be cheaper for them. I have a French gun club & gun store wanting me to reload for them. I can reload in my garage but if I have to set up operations on the French side, I have to pay rent/storage for powder(etc.) & drive miles to do what I could do at home. That will probably add about 30% to everybody's cost. They are stupid & nobody wants to sign anything!
    You should see the stuff I now have! There is $1,500-2,000 in equip. for $500 from a friend. Powder, primers, etc. for probably 4,000 rds plus! Dealing legally with governments is disgusting!
  13. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Wow. Just talked to a friend who is an aide to the PM(Not too exciting on a small island) & he has talked to them & setting up a meeting with the PM about this. Should have a time-table by tues. next.
  14. Hems303 Hems303, 1 year ago
    Fair play to you Lucas! Sounds like your Island Gov is more intractable than even ours! Mind you, getting in touch with our PM would be impossible and almost probably as futile! Our little island might soon get as confused as yours what with Scotland trying to split away.....going shooting (highland stalking) in Scotland might get bogged down with "cross border" firearms control!!!! :(

I know hand-loading can get a bit technical with all the gear, but I've always found it a worthwhile and absorbing endeavour in it's own right...I think you know what I mean. A chill-out "hobby" with no distractions. (A big "KEEP OUT!" pinned on the door.... a friend, who shall remain nameless; was reloading, got interrupted by the wife and put the bullet head on a primed case WITHOUT the propellant.......he didn't notice.....on range he fired said round and the Range Conducting Officer noticed something amiss and just managed to knock the weapon down before the NEXT shot was fired...the primer had powered the bullet up but not out of the barrel!!!!!!!) Moral of the story: "always stay focussed"

I think there is very little chance of me getting a black powder licence as it is now classed as an "explosives" licence and in post Al-Qaeda UK that's problematic. I'll have to stick with brass for the time being but I have caught the B/P bug!

Keep plugging away on the naval cannon saga, as it's gonna make a cracking post when the first photo's hit CW! Mind you I still think your first "cannon" post is one of the best!

For anyone who hasn't seen blunderbuss's "Cannon"...here's the link again.....go see...you won't be disappointed if you are into things that go "bang":

Keep the updates coming, stay safe and as ever...have fun!

Steve
  15. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Good point Steve. After I through the charges, I make a slow study of each case in the holder & no other cases are allowed on the bench from then till after seating. That's the most critical safety stage.
  16. Hems303 Hems303, 1 year ago
    Regarding the Ferret and all it's equipment; including the Mills Grenades here; now it's all fully restored and together, we have a huge week long military show coming up in May, where we'll be exhibiting and demonstrating it, so I might post four last pictures and then call it a day on the Ferret.
  17. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    During the "winter" months, the NW winds prevail over our normal SE winds at sea level. Don't expect sand to move for some months but local fisherman watching it for us. The currents are most important & change numerous times during the year.
  18. Hems303 Hems303, 1 month ago
    Blunderbuss2, Hi!
    One year on: What's the state of play with the sunken cannon you are trying to salvage from off your sunny shores?
  19. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 month ago
    Been a long winter and sand still deep in the "slot". Another Aussie friend sailed in last month & had bought some kind of high tech detecting equip.. He took off to Grenada on another treasure hunt & said we will use his stuff to search for the cannons when he returns "in a month".
  20. Hems303 Hems303, 1 month ago
    Sounds like progress. If the sand is deep, do you have access to suction rig? How will you lift it....air bags?

Steve
  21. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 month ago
    I just did a full explanation but my mouse is not working & I accidentally eliminated it! I can't deal with this bloody touch-pad after yrs of mouse! It's not the mouse but something with the puter. Will redo explanation after the 12 yr. old corrects the problem. I think he is getting too old for this & need an 8 yr. old. "Soon come mon".
  22. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 month ago
    Substitute for 12 & 8 yr olds: new battery. OK. There is an angled ridge of rock (not coral) about 30 meters from a rock water line running parallel. The cannons are there in that trough which varies maybe 8-12 ft deep (I'm bilingual with measurements) and the trough is maybe 400-600 meters long. The ridge comes to about 2-3 ft. below the surface so only shallow draft boats can get in (We only have 12"-18" tide. The beach is soft sand with no real access. The currents during "winter" usually fill this slot where the cannons are with sand & we are just finally coming out of "winter". Have a good friend who does commercial dredging but I wouldn't even ask him to try to get in there with his equip.. We are just figuring on hoisting under pontoons as it is really too shallow for air bags to work except to maybe lift out of the sand. We guestimate that the sand now is about 4' deep average. The Aussie says his equip. goes down about 3" thru sand so that's "iffy". Been pointed out to me what only measures about 30-60' of the trough, but that is a long way when everything is covered in sand. Then the seas have been too rough for 1 1/2 yrs for the conch divers & I'm missing my fried conch. Ain't nothing easy Steve.
  23. Hems303 Hems303, 1 month ago
    Cheers L
    From your description of the topography, it is easy to guess the reason for "why" the cannons (?plural? thought it was a lonesome) are there in the first place. Guess the vessel was running in for a nice sandy shore, perhaps in difficult weather, when "crunch!".... hit the rock ridge and went down on the inshore side. Wonder what else the sand is hiding.....need to keep this site close to your chest ........could be a real honey-pot!!

Wonder what's on'tother side of the ridge ? steep and no sand?

Keep "pluggin" away mate!
  24. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 month ago
    There are or were also at least 3 iron guns & iron garrison carriages & the 1 bronze gun. Never looked on the other side of the ridge but the dive shop owner knows where everything is around here & didn't mention anything but I was specifically asking about the guns.
    Since the artist stuff is made by me, it really doesn't qualify for CW. My old pics are not digital & so I have to record them to put them in files. Just started last week & got my "EX FILES" filed. Very few of those would qualify for CW either. I'll fwd the artist stuff directly to you within a week as they were next on my list.
  25. Hems303 Hems303, 1 month ago
    Good one! Look forward to seeing another Maker's work! I could always post the articles and write-up myself on CW...... it's not MY work!