Celluloid (or enamel) and marcasite compact

In Accessories > Compacts > Show & Tell and Art Deco > Show & Tell.
Compacts42 of 823 compacts featuring leavesRichard Hudnut enamel compact/cigarette case

Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
DrFluffyDrFluffy loves this.
musikchoomusikchoo loves this.

valentino97

This compact is special to me because way back when in my 20's my boyfriend Tony and I were separated by many miles for a year. He lived in Miami and I visited from the midwest every 2 months. Tony gave me a gift each time I visited - always right there in the airport when he picked me up - and always vintage. This celluloid (or enamel?) compact is a treasure even more so because the palm tree reminds me of Miami and our time together.

It's in great shape. Inside has 2 compartments probably for rouge and powder and a very nice mirror.

Comments

1. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    That is about as perfect rendition of the Afrika Korp symbol as you can get. Is your boyfriend German?
  2. valentino97 valentino97, 2 years ago
    I looked the Afrika Korps symbol up which mainly depicts the fronds horizontal or uplifted w/swastika on trunk - very interesting, this is similar but no swastika anywhere on my compact. I searched again and couldn't find any marks. Yes...he is German. His Grandma came to America as a teenager around 1919? and she was shunned by some of her neighbors during WWII even after marrying and having kids and living in the same place for 20 years. Isn't that sad.
  3. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    I couldn't help but notice the similarity immediately. By the way, my ancestors are dutch/German & I'm proud of it, but everybody seems to be proud of their linage.
    (well, maybe not all).
  4. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    The palm tree reminds me of the Beswick Palm Tree vases and jugs of which there were 17 different shapes and sizes, the cobalt line being my favorite color !~Phil.
  5. valentino97 valentino97, 2 years ago
    Yes - we all like to remember good things about our ancestors. Mine are English and German as far as I know because 2 were brought to the midwest on the orphan train. Thanks for your comments Blunderbuss2 and Phil. Always want to know more about my treasures.
  6. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
    Thank you DrF and musikchoo for your love.
  7. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    By the way, I'm dropping CW because of a prejudicial member of the "8-pack" controllers remarks. Seems we have more freedom in all the other countries I've lived in. Don't expect a reply. I'm out of here before I get banned for telling the truth or expressing my honest opinion.
  8. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
    I'm not sure what you mean - did I say something wrong? Do you have an email address?
  9. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Val, you didn't say anything wrong. It's about another poste where an "8 pack" member shot his mouth off & turned me off so much That I decided to drop CW. I like all you guys & sorry to drop-out, but refuse to have opinions controlled by people who obviously don't deserve their exalted status. Read the Westinghouse postes & make your own decisions. I'm gone!
  10. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
    Okay - I just read it - still confused what 8 pack member means. Don't go away. My gosh he would really give me a hard time if he read my WWI posts just lately. I only care about sharing thoughts on old stuff and I know you do too. Don't go away - just ignore and delete the mean crap.
  11. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 1 year ago
    Val, I just don't have time for the crap that "musty" started. Too much crap & too little of interest. I have really enjoyed my time with CW, but the remarks made by the "8 pack" member turned me off so much, that I don't think I want to be involved with such a forum. When somebody uses their position to bully people, time to get out! I don't take crap like that & hope others don't either! I'm gone! I'm too busy to put-up with crap like that. I'm just sorry that it isn't like it was 2 yrs ago. Too many weeds & not enough gems. Bye.