Old James P. Marsh advertising clock

In Clocks > Advertising Clocks > Show & Tell.
Advertising Clocks70 of 205Red Dog Beer sign with Clockneed some help with this clock?sign

pops52pops52 loves this.
egreeley1976egreeley1976 loves this.
Bruce99Bruce99 loves this.
pw-collectorpw-collector loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

waynedlo

Recently found this old James P. Marsh advertising clock and can't find anything close to it on line. It's built in the style of a nautical clock. It's
11 3/4 inches across and it weighs 17 lbs. The clock will run for days but it does lose time. The small second hand is missing and the door latch doesn't work. I believe the clock is turn of the 20th century or earlier.
All I can find on the C. Wallace Plumbing Co. is that they won the plumbing contract on the new Hella temple childrens hospital in Dallas in 1922.
Any information on the clock or C. Wallace plumbing Co. would be appreciated.

Comments

1. waynedlo, 1 year ago
    AR8Jason, Thanks for all the info. and the pic of the mate to my clock. Wish mine was in as good of shape as that one.
  2. Bruce99 Bruce99, 1 year ago
    That's pretty good, a plumber's "Ship's Bell" Advertising Clock! Looks like you have her running "Full Speed Ahead" and it's still losing time. Sounds like it needs a good cleaning/overhaul. A very nice piece none-the-less.
  3. waynedlo, 1 year ago
    Bruce99, Got a kick out of your comment. Looks like it should appeal to several different types of collectors. Now I have to figure out a value on it. Thanks.

4. Bruce99 Bruce99, 1 year ago
    Okay, well...evidently Seth Thomas did make clocks for Marsh. I found one 15-day Engine Room Clock which was not unlike yours.

Starting bid was $425, Cowan's Auctions Inc. appraised it at $600-$1,200.

It was in very good condition and sold at auction for $950 in Feb. 2006. Add their 20% Buyer's Premium and someone forked over $1,100+ for this clock.
    Here are a couple of photo links:

Blow the man down, bullies, blow the man down;
    Blow the man down, bullies, pull him around

Hope that helps. :)
  5. Bruce99 Bruce99, 1 year ago
    To get a better idea of what Seth Thomas Ship's Bell clocks are currently selling for, you can always go to eBay: http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=seth+thomas+ship+bell&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

You might also look at the movement to see if there is a Manufacturer's stamp on the plate.
  6. waynedlo, 1 year ago
    Bruce99, Looks like I would have to sink a few bills to get this one up to
    " ship shape " Thanks for all your help.
  7. Bruce99 Bruce99, 1 year ago
    Yeah, just be sure that you don't get "underwater" with it. :) You're welcome!
  8. Bruce99 Bruce99, 1 year ago
    I see that Kevin spotted the same clock I found. Evidently these don't come up at auction very often.
  9. Bruce99 Bruce99, 1 year ago
    Darn the torpedoes! Full read ahead!
  10. waynedlo, 1 year ago
    Don't let this conversation run aground. Keep them coming.
  11. Bruce99 Bruce99, 1 year ago
    It would seem we're dead in the water without more information on the clock itself. Is there any more information to be gleaned from the clock waynedlo? On the movement or inside the case perhaps?
  12. waynedlo, 1 year ago
    Bruce, I looked at the movement and could not find any markings. It might have a mark on the underside but I didn't want to risk breaking a screw to get it out. The case did have JM stamped inside. I sure it was for James Marsh. I'll take another closer look and see if I missed anything. Thanks again.
  13. Bruce99 Bruce99, 1 year ago
    Don't force anything wayne!