My First Motorcycle, 1977

In Motorcycles > Honda Motorcycles > Show & Tell.
Honda Motorcycles13 of 86Hi I'm Curt This is Deb, we are Honda Hoarders!What are these worth? 1960's Honda 90cc

nldionnenldionne loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
RonMRonM loves this.
mrmajestic1mrmajestic1 loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.

petey

My First Motorcycle, 1977. Honda CJ250T, was red, I added fairing and painted it myself. Engine eventually blew up and I swapped it for a Kawasaki Z650. Used to ride the Honda to school, meant I used to beat the school bus, and arrive early. OK so maybe I planned that badly, but it also meant I got home quicker at the end of the day!!

Comments

1. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Love this photo petey !!!!!!!!!! I wish I would have had it when I did video of musikchoo's on "School Days "
  2. walksoftly walksoftly, 2 years ago
    Cool picture petey!
  3. miKKoChristmas11 miKKoChristmas11, 2 years ago
    Delightful photo!! : ) So glad that you posted this!
  4. petey petey, 2 years ago
    Thanks for the love, Manikin, sadly I missed when you were doing the video.
  5. petey petey, 2 years ago
    Thanks walksoftly,
  6. petey petey, 2 years ago
    Thanks very much BELLIN68!!
  7. petey petey, 2 years ago
    tahnks very much miKKoChristmas11,
  8. petey petey, 2 years ago
    Thanks for the love mtg75, EJW-54, musikchoo, blunderbuss2, RonM, mrmajestic1, mustangtony, and officialfuel
  9. inky inky, 2 years ago
    Great photo!.... were is your profile taken, if you don't mind me asking?...:-0
  10. petey petey, 2 years ago
    Thanks for the love inky, this photo was taken at a friends house. As they do not live there anymore it was (google maps) 10 Capon Tree Road, Brampton, United Kingdom. The profile photo was taken in the car park at White Scar Cave, Ingleton, United Kingdom
  11. petey petey, 2 years ago
    Thanks for the love bratjdd
  12. inky inky, 2 years ago
    Thank you petey that was very kind of you!...I just googled both... that's the sort of village I would love to live in, and your profile photo was taken in a gorgeous spot...the scene behind you is extremely picturesque I just love all those stone walls.
  13. petey petey, 2 years ago
    Thanks for the love sugargirl
  14. petey petey, 2 years ago
    Thanks for the love shughs
  15. JueBoo, 2 years ago
    Being a biker myself this photo has made me hunt out photos of my first bike ....Yamaha 250 cc ,I then became adventurous and bought a Triumph Bonneville complete with regular oil leak !!!!!! Those were the days
  16. petey petey, 2 years ago
    Thanks for the love JueBoo,....ah yes the regular oil leak...the modern designers do not seem to have been able to replicate the great British motorcycle oil leak, it was traditional in its day, I think because the crank case was split vertically, instead of horizontally, but it was all part of the tradition of the British motorcycle. My Triumph does not have this traditional leak, but I manage to keep the tradition alive by accidentally spilling some oil on my garage floor!!!
  17. petey petey, 2 years ago
    Thanks for the love pops52
  18. Hedgewalker Hedgewalker, 2 years ago
    My first was a Lambretta 150...next was a Honda CB160. These Hondas are like tanks. I'm surprised you could blow it up. Great ride Petey !!!!!!
  19. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    Hi Petey...I'm afraid I'm still keeping alive the Great British Motorcycle oil leaks with my Nortons/Triumphs...rebuilt many times but still resolutely leaking from the usual places! Mind you, I've got the 72 Commando down to just the rev counter drive engine connection leak....thats not TOO bad! ;)

If this was your first M/C in 77...did you miss the hot summer of biking in 76? Or perhaps you were pillion at that time? (Hope so...that was a cracking year!)

Steve
  20. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    P.S: Is that a Lewis Leather you are wearing ...with Frank Harris boots?...still have mine but seen better days! lol
  21. kerry10456 kerry10456, 2 years ago
    Steve, in response, they don't leak, they just mark their spot. :-)
  22. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    That they do Kerry! All over the place! One place I used to stop..they had decided to have posh "paviours" laid and I knew my welcome with the Triumph was up when the lady-of-the-house rushed out with a meat tray to put under the bike!

They do say the leaks were a design feature of the British Bike Industry...you knew when to top up the oil!......you had a constant and reliable visual aid!
  23. Hems303 Hems303, 2 years ago
    As it is so rare now-a-days for modern motorcycles to leak oil..I think I'll post a series of photos of my garage/workshops floors on Collectors Weekly for all to enjoy...Jackson Pollack couldn't have done better! (Tho a bit more colourful....perhaps!)
  24. petey petey, 2 years ago
    Hi Hems303, can't remember the makes of the motorcycle gear, but I remember 1976, when I got hooked on bikes. a friend worked with me on a summertime job would give me a ride to work and back, no helmet etc etc, would pick up and drop off out of sight of parents. Also let me ride the bike, Honda 125 trail bike. I also started riding another friends bike, James Captain 200! made it to look like the bike ridden by The Fonz.
  25. petey petey, 2 years ago
    Hedgewalker, engine problem was something to do with oil pump packing up!!
  26. petey petey, 2 years ago
    Thanks for the loves Hems303, and Hedgewalker
  27. kerry10456 kerry10456, 2 years ago
    Sorry petey for missing the love click, thought I'd hit earlier. Me bad. :-)
    Steve, the vintage HD's all left a spot, the lower end uses 1/2 ounce of oil and if the sit for any lenght of time, the weight of the oil, pushes through the ball and seat in the pump and oil will fill the crankcase, when started the excess oil will be forced out the vent to the primary cover,which also lubs the primary chain, then in turn the inner primary cover has a hole in the bottom to drain run-off
  28. petey petey, 2 years ago
    Thanks kerry10456, always appreciated!
  29. kerry10456 kerry10456, 2 years ago
    Your very welcome petey, again sorry for the delay, getting old I guess ;-)
  30. petey petey, 2 years ago
    Thanks for the love pickrknows
  31. petey petey, 1 year ago
    Thanks for the love birdie.
  32. toracat toracat, 1 year ago
    I graduated in 1967, my first was a Honda 1965 CB 160, It was pretty fast! really! Don
  33. petey petey, 1 year ago
    Thanks toracat, I seem to remember that these bikes were very popular, and were nicknamed “Chicken Hawks” I think. No idea why. A friend of mine had an old one which he made to look more like a cafe racer!
  34. petey petey, 1 year ago
    Thank you so much for the love Manikin, bratjdd, and epson233
  35. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    I don't know how I missed this one . Love those old bikes ! your looking mighty cool on it too :-) Great photo petey :-)
  36. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    SO LOVING THIS!!!!!
  37. petey petey, 1 year ago
    Thanks for the comment Manikin!!!!!!!
  38. petey petey, 1 year ago
    Thanks for the love trunkman
  39. petey petey, 1 year ago
    Thanks for th comment SEAN68!!!!!!
  40. petey petey, 1 year ago
    Thanks for the love ttomtucker, and DrFluffy
  41. SEAN68 SEAN68, 1 year ago
    your very welcome petey :) whos that stunning young man on that hot bike
  42. bratjdd bratjdd, 1 year ago
    Ok, petey you get triple Love!!!
  43. petey petey, 1 year ago
    Aww, thanks SEAN68 and bratjdd!!!
  44. petey petey, 1 year ago
    Thanks for the love PhilDavidAlexanderMorris
  45. petey petey, 1 year ago
    Thanks for the love sarahoff !!
  46. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    My sister bought a kawasaki, it seemed to be the biggest one and it was 1976, she was only 106 LBS. so she was too small for the bike I thought. I love yours !~
  47. petey petey, 1 year ago
    PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, outstanding!, nice to hear of a girl buying a bike, not many do, bikes seem to be built with a view to a man buying them, with a seat too high for a woman to reach the ground.
  48. JueBoo, 1 year ago
    I totally agree with this comment Petey ,I'm looking to purchase a new bike but they do not cater for tiny ladies !!!!
  49. petey petey, 12 months ago
    Thank you JueBoo!!
  50. petey petey, 12 months ago
    Thank you for the love sarahoff, always appreciated!!
  51. petey petey, 6 months ago
    Thanks for the love Trey !
  52. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 months ago
    Hi petey, not sure if I have ever had your address -- this photo cleans up somewhat in my adobe photoshop6. Will try to send. Phil.
  53. antiquerose antiquerose, 2 months ago
    Neat!! We had bikes on the farm. Even I did.......LOL.....small ones when your about 10 years old.

Started out at about 10 years old with some Mini Bike then got a Honda 50 with a Cowl, Suzuki 80, then a Yamaha 125, and then a Honda 175. Sold my last one when I bought my first used car (a 1975 Pontiac Lemans Sport Coupe) in about 1979.

Here is a Google pic diary of them:

So those were the bikes I had from about late 60's to the late 70's. After I got my car, I would sometimes drive my brother Kawaski 650

Surprising I can still remember them and the sizes!!

All Classic now -- Wish I had them all Still!!!

54. petey petey, 2 months ago
    Thanks for the love ttomtucker !
  55. petey petey, 2 months ago
    Thank for looking, and the comment antiquerose, these photos brought back some memories !!! Especially the Kawasaki Z650, it was identical to mine, even the colour....not sure what the colour was called but "Candy Red" seems to ring a bell in my small sized brain?!
  56. petey petey, 2 months ago
    Upgraded photo by PhilDavidAlexanderMorris. Thank you!! He has applied his photo magic to what was a VERY poor quality photo and managed to enhance it. Looks more like the original colours and as sharp as the day it was taken !!! Thank you again.
  57. nldionne nldionne, 2 months ago
    Looks great. Phil is a marcel with old photos.
  58. walksoftly walksoftly, 2 months ago
    Well done Phil!
  59. antiquerose antiquerose, 2 months ago
    Super Phil......You the Man for saving old Pics and doing your Hocus Pocus on Pics!!

Way to Go !!!!!!!