1960's Sigi Pineda azurite or chrysocolla sterling bracelet

In Fine Jewelry > Mexican Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Mexican Jewelry54 of 79Mexican wave chip bracelet and earringsMexico 950+ silver belt buckle, with gold, from a coin?,! I bought 40 years ago in Mexico, but how old?

antiqueroseantiquerose loves this.
inkyinky loves this.
sarahoffsarahoff loves this.
bratjddbratjdd loves this.
BHock45BHock45 loves this.
toracattoracat loves this.
Woman34Woman34 loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.
NewtimesNewtimes loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

valentino97

I believe the stone on this lovely Taxco, Mexico bracelet is Chrysocolla or azurite which is found in California and Mexico. It's not cracked - natural seam shows up in photo. The bracelet was made by Sigi Pineda (circa 1960's?? - not sure) It's marked 277 w/Hecho en Mexico and Sterling stamps - plus a round "eagle or logo" stamp and Sigi Taxco. It has a security catch on clasp. Stone measures 1-1/2" square.

From what I read Sigi Pineda produced lots of sterling and stone jewelry.

I researched this particular bracelet about 5 years ago and found a black onyx for $375. but since then can't find add'l internet information. I bought this in 1995 San Diego consignment shop.

Any more information is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

1. Stillwater Stillwater, 1 year ago
    Its "Pineda." Weird looking chrysoprase, kind of opaque, might just be the photo though.

It doesn't have to be your exact model of bracelet to find out what its worth, just look at eBay's SOLD listings, highest prices first, and scroll through and see where yours would fit in. It HAS to be the ones that sold though, disregard any auction that didn't, because they tell you nothing. People can ASK whatever amount of money they want, but the actual MARKET is represented by the pieces that sold.
  2. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
    Thank you for your expertise and corrections - I'm new to Ebay and didn't think to research it there. I looked through my research books again and yes - this is not translucent. Could be a treated chrysocolla - which is mined in Mexico. It's a beautiful green-blue - photo color is right.

I found this first in a book on Spratling and other Taxco silversmiths - then I found a NY gallery website specializing in those items. It is SO TRUE! An item isn't worth anything until someone buys it and sets the value. On the other hand sentimental value can be priceless.
  3. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
    Thank you Bellin68 - it was a splurge purchase because I had been laid off due to a buyout of the little weekly newspaper I worked for.
  4. Stillwater Stillwater, 1 year ago
    Pineda is one of the best names in Mexican silver
    Its better to splurge on this one piece than a dozen crappy, unsigned pieces that won't hold their value and would be hard to liquidate if need be.
    Nice buy
  5. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
    Thank you Stillwater - very true. I'm keeping it for awhile longer.
  6. valentino97 valentino97, 12 months ago
    Thank you Newtimes, Kevin, Kerry, woman34, toracat, sarahoff and BHock for loving this. In the words of the great art8jason "It's worth what someone will pay" and I add on "when you are paid what you asked for".
  7. valentino97 valentino97, 8 months ago
    Sara thank you or the loving again!
  8. valentino97 valentino97, 3 months ago
    This bracelet in brown and red jasper just sold on ebay for $305.

Inky thanks for looking and loving my items.