Green turquoise & sterling Navajo assembled bracelet

In Fine Jewelry > Native American Jewelry > Show & Tell and Fine Jewelry > Sterling Silver Fine Jewelry > Show & Tell.
Native American Jewelry76 of 154Heishe & turquoise zig-zag stainless steel cuffHandmade Zuni turquoise, mop, coral sterling bracelet

wpjwpj loves this.
Woman34Woman34 loves this.
ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
bratjddbratjdd loves this.
BHock45BHock45 loves this.

valentino97

2" central motif features 46 beautiful hand-set green turquoise (maybe from Nevada?) stones w/sterling rope, curved wire and beads. The bezels are old-style pointed grips. Back is marked LMR Navajo sterling. Hard to make out the initials because 3-banded framework positioned right on top of the initials. Motifs were assembled and then made into jewelry.

During college in the late 70s' I worked part-time at an Indian jewelry stand in the mall at Waterloo, IA . I don't have anything from this shop because I was a poor college student. Enjoyed the experience and learned a lot from the owners. Later turquoise jewelry wasn't popular in the 80's and 90's - but I disagreed and bought many wonderful pieces for less than the 1970's prices. And now I have some amazing pieces which I'll post later. This bracelet came from a 90's auction. I knew it wasn't top grade Navajo but on the other hand I haven't seen one like it lately. Lost a stone over the years - I wear it a lot and love it.

Comments

1. Manikin Manikin, 2 years ago
    Beautiful !
  2. valentino97 valentino97, 2 years ago
    Thank you for your comment.
  3. valentino97 valentino97, 2 years ago
    The reason I posted so many Native American items today: watched the "Miss Navajo" documentary on Netflix. I was inspired! What a wonderful documentary. I'll never look as beautiful or have as beautiful turquoise - but I enjoy my items.

Thank you Vetraio, Officialfuel, Bratjdd, BHock45, Mustangtony and Manikin for your loves.
  4. valentino97 valentino97, 2 years ago
    Thank you Woman34 and Ho2cultura for your love.
  5. toracat toracat, 2 years ago
    Really beautiful!!!!
  6. valentino97 valentino97, 2 years ago
    Thank you inky and toracat for loves. This came from a monthly auction in San Diego in 1993? I think I paid $40 which was a lot for me at the time. My Dad sent some Christmas money. I bought a lot of great jewelry from this auction which I will post, a few rugs and fetishes. My friends bought rugs, kachinas, pottery and baskets. (They had a double income). I remember trays of wonderful Navajo handmade rings selling for $5 each. Most of the items were from store liquidations. Some were from private estates. It was such a fun experience: Sign in for paddle, View, request items for quicker bid in line.....wait....buy a beer and read the magazine I brought....then wham, bid and buy.
  7. vintagejewel vintagejewel, 2 years ago
    Really Beautiful. I'm guessing the turquoise used is from King Manassa mine or possibly old cerrilos
  8. valentino97 valentino97, 2 years ago
    Thank you - it doesn't quite match my research book "Turquoise - gem of the centuries" by Oscar Branson, 1975 but the King Manassa turquoise looks very much like a 3 stone bracelet I just posted marked HH - so THANKS! Haven't checked out old cerrilos and will do so.
  9. Stillwater Stillwater, 9 months ago
    Its cerillos turqoise
  10. Stillwater Stillwater, 9 months ago
    Kings Manassa generally is dark green with a bluish tint and tan rock inclusions, Cerillos is that spinachy green. Though some turquoise changes to that spinach color with age no matter what mine it came from. I never put stock into those turquoise names anyway, its impossible to tell really. We had a customer who was a native American turquoise trader and he told us that not even the experts can REALLY tell what mine a stone came from with 100% certainty. So n
  11. Stillwater Stillwater, 9 months ago
    obody really knows lol.
  12. valentino97 valentino97, 9 months ago
    Thank you Stillwater! You are THE expert - thank you for looking and commenting on this bracelet. It's not top level but it is a really wonderful bracelet and I wear it a lot.
  13. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 9 months ago
    Gorgeous. Xoxoxo
  14. Stillwater Stillwater, 9 months ago
    Its a pretty good piece actually. People love those sunburst bracelets so its got some value to it. Older one too
  15. valentino97 valentino97, 9 months ago
    Thank you again Stillwater - I love it and enjoy wearing it. Do you think 1950's or 70's?
  16. valentino97 valentino97, 9 months ago
    Thank you everyone else for checking in again and giving love to this - much appreciated!
  17. Stillwater Stillwater, 9 months ago
    I'd say 50's, MAYBE early 60's. They started stamping NAVAJO on them around that time because the tourists on the Fred Harvey routes liked that.

The pieces from the 60's and 70's are really gaudy and mass produced frankly. That's the stuff you want to avoid when you're out hunting. They tend to have those mass produced cut-out leaves, tendrils, and a turquoise/coral/bear claw combination with the turquoise being obnoxiously blue. NA jewelry was super popular for those 20 years and they could hardly keep up with demand, so they bought bags of pre-cut leaves and stuff and just crammed it together to pump it out quickly. A lot of it was actually made in Mexico and some even came from SE Asia I've heard.

You've got a great piece there Valentino, very desirable. Hang on to it!
  18. valentino97 valentino97, 9 months ago
    Stillwater - thank you so much! Yes, I love it - I thought this one might be an "assembly line item" mainly because the stamp is not in an optimal position. It is a favorite. I agree about the 60's-70's items being gaudy and very popular and mass produced.

A stone has been lost over the years and reminds me how bracelets can snag on sweater cuffs... Now I inspect it before I wear and press the sawtooths down. I don't want to send it away. I could probably make a very good Xerox - I know it can be repaired. Anyone you can recommend?

Thanks so much for your expertise!
  19. Stillwater Stillwater, 9 months ago
    We're in-between silversmith's right now, our guy just passed away I think.
    If I were you I would find someone local, someone who specializes in NA jewelry (usually native Americans), someone who keeps a benchman on staff. There's no real need to send it away. It might take a little tracking down to find someone good though, we always met our guys through word-of-mouth

Good luck!
  20. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 16 days ago
    Yeah I hate this too, only because I am insanely jealous. Too beautiful !~
  21. valentino97 valentino97, 16 days ago
    Phil - thanks for the hate! I understand. Will it make you feel better that it's not as thick as the really good ones. I would say Grade B. You can tell from the pix that it's only 1/8" thick and it's for a women's wrist. I know it is still VERY nice and is worth some $$$.

Elisabeth - thanks for looking at my collections again. That makes me happy you enjoy the things I enjoy!! XOXO

CW friends - thank you for loves.
  22. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 16 days ago
    This is beautiful!
  23. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 16 days ago
    I just saw where you wrote about the "Miss Navajo" documentary. I've seen that too. Crazy what they go thru for that, right?! But a great story none-the-less! Have you ever been to the pow-wows? Love them! There's one coming soon at Morango! Sept 2014
  24. valentino97 valentino97, 16 days ago
    Thank you Share for visiting this bracelet again. It's been at least 20 yrs since I've been to a pow-wow. Maybe it's time to enjoy again. Thanks for letting me know about Morango.
  25. shareurpassion shareurpassion, 16 days ago
    You're welcome. It's been too long for me too and the last one I attended was in O.C.

I think it is time to go again!!! ;)