A Puzzling Piece

In Fine Jewelry > Fine Jewelry Pins and Brooches > Show & Tell.
Fine Jewelry Pins and Brooches174 of 312Help with this pin please!Edwardian? Silver and  Crystal stone Bar Pin or Brooch

aghcollectaghcollect loves this.
DrFluffyDrFluffy loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
bratjddbratjdd loves this.
toracattoracat loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.
musikchoomusikchoo loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
Agram.mAgram.m loves this.
toolate2toolate2 loves this.
NewtimesNewtimes loves this.
peteypetey loves this.

freiheit

This is one of the very few items I was able to keep from my grandmother. She told me that it was not gold, however, the craftsmanship is remarkable. It is a pin with a compartment for a picture in the back. The reddish pearl seems to be a coral. Does anyone know how old it might be?

Thanks for looking :)

Comments

1. Agram.m Agram.m, 2 years ago
    Probably the end of the 19s
  2. Stillwater Stillwater, 2 years ago
    I would agree with Agram, late 19th century
  3. miKKoChristmas11 miKKoChristmas11, 2 years ago
    Does the central portion pivot? Could this be a mourning brooch?
  4. miKKoChristmas11 miKKoChristmas11, 2 years ago
    By the way, it is handsome, and I've never seen one quite like it! So glad that you have this to remember your grandmother! : )
  5. freiheit freiheit, 2 years ago
    Hi miKKoChristmas: Thanks for your comments. The brooch is rather high - you can't see that from the picture. Now that you mentioned it, I think it could have been a mourning brooch. The compartment is deep enough for storing hair. The glass is rather nice (beveled) but nothing moves.
    My grandmother was, for her time, a very educated woman. I learned a lot from her, including many valuable life-lessons, but much is still unknown - and will be forever, including the meaning of the brooch. I wish I would have listened more because once she died, this "window to the past" has been closed forever. Well, I don't want to bother you with my thoughts and rather say thank you for your kind comments. :)
  6. miKKoChristmas11 miKKoChristmas11, 2 years ago
    Hi, freiheit! Thank you very much for your generous explanation and for sharing this beautiful brooch and your grandmother with us. I think that we all wish that we had listened more to our cherished elders. I am so glad that you have this to remember her by....Your thoughts are important to us, and certainly no bother! Hope to see many more of your cherished items....Regards, miKKo
  7. freiheit freiheit, 2 years ago
    Thanks a lot miKKoChristmas11 :)
  8. freiheit freiheit, 2 years ago
    Thanks everyone for loving this pin. It's close to my heart :)
  9. freiheit freiheit, 2 years ago
    Thanks everyone for loving this pin. It's close to my heart :)