Apulum Fine Porcelaine Flamingo Ornament

In Figurines > Show & Tell and Animals > Show & Tell.
Figurines926 of 1032Blue and white piggy bankHummel Doll ? This is a large hand painted doll that appears to be paper mache. Any Ideas, Comments Welcome

Foxterrier9livesFoxterrier9lives loves this.
maryh1956maryh1956 loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.
HedgewalkerHedgewalker loves this.
nldionnenldionne loves this.

PhilDavidA…

Apulum Fine Porcelaine Flamingo Ornament, Romania

I now have a good picture of the mark at the bottom which helped me to easily read the mark which was slightly blurred because of some of the fine or tiny blue specks surrounding porcelain marks. Photoshop can do some wonders there.

The ornament is impressively large 13 1/2 inches high or 34.29 cm.
The many leaves are very nicely done on the bottom parts> I count 5 flamingos in the group.

The marking and piece are from the first years of the 1970's when the company was founded.

Apulum , officially S.C. Apulum S.A., is a manufacturer of porcelain products, founded in Alba Iulia in 1970. It is Romania's largest porcelain producer and one of the main European exporters.

Something I originally bought for a friend, but found out he just bought an Elan car from England and is building a new garage for it. So I guess I will have to keep it for myself for now. A beautiful grouping of flamingos and a pretty large piece, it is hard to find these sort of things now, they are almost all gone now. I remember I used to have a lot of them, but I sold them to my friend for his house since he lives on Flamingo Cres. He has a pretty good collection but unfortunately has cats, which wiped out some of the gifts I have given him and his wife over the years. He has kept the flamingo collection high up luckily on a display area on the walls at ceiling height so that has kept the flamingos from being damaged. This piece would not fit up there so I feel good that he is not getting the piece as I know the cats would be jumping up on it if he had got it. I bought this piece at auction, from England, near London. and I feel it is one of the nicest I have ever seen in my life. They were very popular after the second world war and into the 1950's. The piece can be seen on the coffee table, the palace vase on the bookcase is 4 feet high. 132 cm. , the alabaster vase on far left is lighted also !~ Its out early now as I just took the photos just after mid-day today.

Comments

1. nldionne nldionne, 2 years ago
    I don't know what's real and what you could possibly create anymore:)
  2. Roycroftbooksfromme1 Roycroftbooksfromme1, 2 years ago
    Very nice Pfil and I like the story......
  3. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Thank you for the love mustangtony, vetraio50,

Thank you for the compliments and love Roycroftbooksfromme1, and nldionne
  4. Hedgewalker Hedgewalker, 2 years ago
    You bring such a rich variety to this site Phil !!!!! Thanks for all these beauties !
  5. kerry10456 kerry10456, 2 years ago
    Your posting and photo#3 &4, makes e want to come visit, but not touch anything. :-) Very nice room set up, love it.
    Btw answered your query on the Alice watches in comments, hope that explained the reason.
  6. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Thanks Hedgewalker for such a precious and nice comment
    Thanks Kerry for stopping by, would not be the same without you !
    Thanks Sean for the love.
  7. Slave-to-glass Slave-to-glass, 2 years ago
    OMG that whole room is AMAZING. I love looking at other people's collections and how their rooms are displayed. Fantastic and I can't stop drooling. Now my house looks very drab LOL
  8. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Thanks, Slave-to-glass, very kind of you., here is something I wrote on another site:

" As you enter my home, you pass through a small entrance hall and enter an opening to the left framed with large scale, marble topped furniture and a large, carved marble, life-size statue. There are statues everywhere. There is an overpowering feeling of solidity and permanence to the living room. You get the feeling that it has been here forever and that it will always be that way. " --- something I wrote about my collection and home.
  9. Slave-to-glass Slave-to-glass, 2 years ago
    Yes, :) I even had to double check to make sure in your post that it was. I originally thought it was a display in a stately home LOL
  10. inky inky, 2 years ago
    It's beautiful..full of life I adore it!...:-)
  11. walksoftly walksoftly, 2 years ago
    I'm going to have to pay you a visit the next time I'm out that way so I can take it in in all it's glory, magnificent room!
  12. epson233 epson233, 2 years ago
    very nice phil -- have a great week -- enjoyed so much your new postings -- hugs
  13. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Thanks epson233, hugs to you also. Thanks David also for the nice comment. I am here usually but taking constant trips to visit my sister.
  14. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Thanks musikchoo for the love.
  15. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Thanks again Slave-to-glass !~
  16. pops52 pops52, 2 years ago
    Very beautiful Phil. Your home is a truly a showcase.
  17. walksoftly walksoftly, 2 years ago
    Will be in the area in June.
  18. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    I will be visiting my sister in Ontario for a couple months at that time, her birthday is that month leave by 1st. Phil
  19. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Thanks kindly, pops52
  20. walksoftly walksoftly, 2 years ago
    Well damn, I'll miss you by 2 days :-(
    Oh well another time then.
  21. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Thanks bratjdd for the love.
  22. bratjdd bratjdd, 2 years ago
    You are welcome :)
  23. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Thanks Leah, appreciated.
  24. toracat toracat, 2 years ago
    Your flamingos are beautiful! And I posted a plastic one! haha Have you been to Hearst Castle? At Big Sur, your room reminds me of there! Hearst use to have zebras giraffs, etc. on way up.www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1HXvwJNojM
  25. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Thank you Don, I have one of the best books that came out on the castle, and some others on Hearst who probably was the most famous collector of all time. He also bought St. Donats castle in Ireland and I have a book on that also. Hearst was legendary at buying antiques, he was even successful in buying collections that once belonged to Thomas Hope.
  26. shell59, 2 years ago
    Phil, are the Flamingos a form of majolica? I have a Capodimonte (sp) little basket with flowers and leaves and the leaves kind of have the same kind of art work on them.
  27. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Probably not, but the technique would probably be much the same which is a very good observation, and the leaves on the pieces would probably involve separate modelling, a lot of work anyway for the piece. Thanks shell59 and will look out for your basket, sounds wonderful !~
  28. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Thank you Geno, appreciated very much !~
  29. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 2 years ago
    Thank you bratjdd for the love.
  30. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    thank you antiquarius123 for the love.
  31. SpunkysMom SpunkysMom, 1 year ago
    I agree, amazing house & collection! Alas, many of my treasures have been destroyed by my little furry monsters as well! I've learned to keep the nicer pieces beyond their reach!
  32. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thanks SpunkysMom, at least my mother had the good sense to try to do the same, which is a miracle its all still there at my fathers home.
  33. mikelv85 mikelv85, 1 year ago
    That room is absolutely stunning beyond words Phil. I guess I'm fortunate that my four legged children are not so mischievous. One is too old and the other is too fat... lol.
  34. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you Mike, no tv in the room either !~
  35. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you for the love mikelv85, & toracat !~
  36. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thanks to Slave-to-glass, czechman, maryh1956, kerry10456, BELLIN68, Hedgewalker, mustangtony, & vetraio50 for all the love !~
  37. Slave-to-glass Slave-to-glass, 1 year ago
    You're welcome again :)
  38. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Much love back to you Don and Mike, thank you for the love !~
  39. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you sslam for the love !~
  40. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you toracat for the love, right back at you !~
  41. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you for the love MarioZ, right back at you !~
  42. valentino97 valentino97, 1 year ago
    Your pictures are really wonderful - what a lovely room!
  43. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you SpunkysMom for the visit and the love, right back at you !~
  44. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you SteveS for the love, right back at you !~
  45. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you valentino97 for the love, much appreciated !~
  46. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you Moonstonelover21 for the love, and love right back at you !~
  47. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you SEAN68 for the love, much appreciated !~
  48. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you musikchoo for the love, very much appreciated !~
  49. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you valentino97 for the really wonderful comment, appreciated !~
  50. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    Thank you Manikin for the love, much appreciated, right back at you !!~
  51. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 12 months ago
    Thanks tom6135 for the love, always appreciated Tom !
  52. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 10 months ago
    Thanks vintagecarmascot for the love, appreciated.
  53. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 7 months ago
    Thanks for the loves ho2cultcha, Vintagefran, leanna25.