Thorn vase, mottled with gold aventurine, ca. 1900

In Art Glass > Bohemian Art Glass > Show & Tell.
Bohemian Art Glass1652 of 2822Kralik Hard Ribbed VaseKralik furnace decorated vase, ca. 1930s

coloricolori loves this.
famatta127famatta127 loves this.
inkyinky loves this.
Slave-to-glassSlave-to-glass loves this.
ozmartyozmarty loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

bohemiangl…

Last one from this weekend's show... this one is a bit of a mystery - I've seen the decor before, but I've never seen a reliable attribution. My gut feeling because of the color scheme is Harrach, but I really have no idea. Stands 10 inches tall with a ground and polished pontil. A couple of the thorns are nicked, but I've almost never seen a thorn piece that didn't have one or two thorns nicked up.

Comments

1. Slave-to-glass Slave-to-glass, 1 year ago
    Love it!
  2. famatta127 famatta127, 1 year ago
    It almost looks like the thorns found on some Pallme...whatever it is its wonderful.
  3. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 1 year ago
    I have thorns on a couple pieces. One is definitely Harrach. The other not so sure of but given the gilding (this same or exceedingly similar pattern is found on another definite harrach piece) and quality of the crystal very well could be Harrach.

that's the unknown, the one I know is harrach I missed getting on my website. it's this same basic shape but it's really tiny, 5 inches tall and about an inch or so wide. it's one of the 1870's 1880's custard type pieces in very heavy glass.

4. bohemianglassandmore bohemianglassandmore, 1 year ago
    Alisa, when I was talking to the dealer about this piece, he had no clue, so we got to kicking ideas around. My take was that I felt that this was a Bohemian piece that has French traits, and that plus the color scheme pointed me to a company that was definitely in bed with the French, and that was Harrach. To be fair, Harrach was by far not the only company filling French orders, but this particular piece just has that vibe to me. I could be talked into Harrach, but I would need more evidence. :)
  5. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 1 year ago
    oh, I don't know that it is Harrach. I was just pointing out similar thorned pieces. :)

It's cool whatever it is. The more I look at it the more it grows on me.
  6. bohemianglassandmore bohemianglassandmore, 1 year ago
    This is one of those that sparkles in person, thanks to the little nuggets of gold aventurine, which is almost impossible to photograph well. :)
  7. Greatsnowyowl Greatsnowyowl, 1 year ago
    yeah, I didn't even realize it had the aventurine in it until I read your description here.
  8. Nootch Nootch, 1 year ago
    Howdy: Awesome vase! Reminds me just a little of my posted vase entitled "Unknown Vase", especially the thorns and similar pontil. Comments on mine differ (czechman, Alfredo (with references), and kairomalta = definitely Kralik; beyemvey = probably Kralik, Great snowy owl = not Kralik (more modern). Regards.
  9. jericho jericho, 1 year ago
    ive got a great many pieces of this decor and its related shapes, give me an email and ill throw something at ya, although im still confused, could be 3 or four makers
  10. bohemianglassandmore bohemianglassandmore, 1 year ago
    Jericho... Use wgallejr@comcast.net. Deb sent me a photo of this vase on a shelf at Passau; unfortunately the plaque didn't nail it down exactly.