My 1950's Bell System Telephone Booth

In Telephones > Payphones > Show & Tell.
Payphones19 of 31Found Telephone BoothPayphone

bondservantjonbondservantjon likes this.
sugargirlsugargirl loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.
gargoylecollectorgargoylecollector loves this.
JamesJames likes this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
jackartjackart loves this.

ttomtucker

The 1950's phone booth was removed from service at the University of Washington Library back in the early 1990's. It was stored in the library
basement until last year when I acquired it from a Qwest telephone man. I installed the red working payphone. The phone booth does generate conversation when we get visitors.

Comments

1. cocacolakid97 cocacolakid97, 4 years ago
    cool, my grandpa has one of these in his basemant. It still has the oringinal porcelain sign on it.
  2. ttomtucker ttomtucker, 4 years ago
    Thanks for the comment cocacolakid and jackart.
  3. officialfuel officialfuel, 4 years ago
    I had one last year and sold it, wished I would have kept it.
  4. ttomtucker ttomtucker, 4 years ago
    officialfuel, This is my third phone booth. The first booth I had was installed in Royce Hall at UCLA in 1927 and was removed in 1985. The second was a green outside booth with chicken wire glass and a metal roof.
  5. officialfuel officialfuel, 4 years ago
    So are you keeping this one. It's very nice!
  6. ttomtucker ttomtucker, 4 years ago
    Thanks pick-and-collecting, James
  7. Amy Richards, 4 years ago
    My grandfather wants to purchase a telephone booth. However no one can tell us the year it was made. It has chicken wire in the glass and a metal roof, would anyone be able to help us out?
  8. ttomtucker ttomtucker, 4 years ago
    The chicken wire phone booths were used outside during the late 1930's to the 1950's. chicken wire glass was used before they started using safety glass in outside booths. I'm guessing the booth is made of wood and painted green?
  9. Amy Richards, 4 years ago
    We are not sure if it is made of wood, it has a metal floor and a metal roof, and yes it is painted green :) My grandfather says he is almost positive it is made out of metal but we are not sure because we haven't purchased it yet. What should someone pay for this kind of telephone booth?
  10. Amy Richards, 4 years ago
    Do you have a picture of your chicken wire phone booth? We would really like to see it. :)
  11. oldie oldie, 3 years ago
    Ttomtucker very,very nice. Done a great job!!! Do you know what keys I would need to open the upper housing of a 3 slot payphone? Thanks Oldie
  12. ttomtucker ttomtucker, 2 years ago
    oldie, sorry for the delay, i haven't check by older post lately. For a Automatic Electric payphone 29S key. Western Electric 10G or 10L.