1930-40 original display photo by famous sculptor . Phil brought back to life ! What is this scene ?

In Advertising > Store Displays > Show & Tell.
Store Displays82 of 1821940's Mannequin bust that came boxed with Minature Hat Patterns 1940s 30 inch mannequin store display modeling girdle

miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.
filmnetfilmnet loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

Manikin

This is a large Original photo taken for a store display by a famous sculptor. I am doing an article on her so I have water marked the photo to save for book .
It is quit a unusual mannequin by her and it depicts something but I am not sure . I have tried to remember a old story that would have these characters . All I come up with is Puss and Boots ?
Phil did the photo in color for me and wow it jumps to life . Talent that is incredible ! Sorry about watermark but this has never been published and I want to save that for article . Please understand :-)
if this scene reminds you of something I am open to all possibilities

Comments

1. AmberRose AmberRose, 1 year ago
    There are many tales of Puss in Boots I do think there is one about a woman in men's clothing. I'll look. The door knocker is fab. Good work to you Mani and to Phil!
  2. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Amazing transformation, afraid I'm not much help on stories of Puss & Boots.
  3. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    I have only heard of this, probably does not pertain. Maneki-neko is the subject of a number of folktales. Here are five of the most popular, explaining the cat's origins:
    The stray cat and the shop: The operator of an impoverished shop (or inn, tavern, temple, etc.) takes in a starving, stray cat despite barely having enough to feed himself. In gratitude, the cat takes up a station outside the establishment and beckons in new visitors, bringing prosperity as a reward to the charitable proprietor. Ever after, the "beckoning cat" has been a symbol of good luck for small business owners.
    The nobleman-warning cat: One day a luminary passed by a cat, which seemed to wave to him. Taking the cat's motion as a sign, the nobleman paused and went to it. Diverted from his journey, he realized that he had avoided a trap that had been laid for him just ahead. Since that time, cats have been considered wise and lucky spirits. Many Japanese shrines and homes include the figurine of a cat with one paw upraised as if waving, hence the origin of maneki-neko, often referred to as kami-neko in reference to the cat's kami or spirit. Depending on version, the story may cast the nobleman as one of various Japanese emperors, as well as historical characters such as Oda Nobunaga and the samurai Ii Naotaka.
  4. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    The stray cat and the shop fits it best for me. The other does not and should not have been included. Phil.
  5. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Phil that story makes sense and sounds good to me :-) Many many thanks for restoring both the one's posted . xoxo
  6. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
  7. PhilDavidAlexanderMorris PhilDavidAlexanderMorris, 1 year ago
    manI, I am working on the picture again, trying to get detail on the bottom, so should be able to send you a new pic by tomorrow. Learning as I am doing. Let me know if you don't want any cleaning up of the stray hairs ??
  8. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Ok Phil :-) stray hair is ok so she looks like she was originally styled . You are very appreciated and Thank you many times over . xo
  9. vetraio50 vetraio50, 1 year ago
    Dick Whttington was my thought.
    Loved "pantos" when I was a kid.
    David Jones here in Sydney did great windows.

10. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Vetraio that is a good possiblity . Thanks for the link :-)
  11. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you Sean and Amber :-) and Happy Easter to you both !
  12. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you mustang and filmnet ! I appreciate you stopping to put some love on this post :-)
  13. bratjdd bratjdd, 1 year ago
    Phil, Manikin you guys are the Beautifully talented!:) Thanks for sharing
  14. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you Bratjdd from myself and Phil ! he is so talented . The photo was so old and he brought it back to life . So much talent and generous enough to do this in color after fixing the black and white one also . Much appreciated my friend xoxo
  15. bratjdd bratjdd, 1 year ago
    You are also Talented, you bring back Manikins to life. :)
  16. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you nldionne ! :-) From me for photo and Phil for his fantastic restoring it !
  17. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
  18. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you bratjdd what a nice comment :-)xo
  19. Hunter Hunter, 1 year ago
    Mani - please post a link to the article once you've finished it! Would love to read it :)
  20. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Will do Hunter . I am slow have to limit my typing but for sure I will let you see it :-)
  21. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you neilvbcolloctables ! :-)
  22. Manikin Manikin, 1 year ago
    Thank you MiKKo !!!!!!!!!!! Phil did amazing job colorizing this old 1930's photo :-)