Salvadore De Durro Violin, in old wood box with 2 bows from thrift store a long time ago

In Musical Instruments > Violins > Show & Tell.
Violins5 of 18Andreas Morelli ViolinSpringer Violin  #112

peteypetey loves this.
officialfuelofficialfuel loves this.
EJW-54EJW-54 loves this.
kygurl32kygurl32 loves this.
nldionnenldionne loves this.
walksoftlywalksoftly loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

toracat

Hello I bought this a long time ago for $50.00, for maybe 5 years it hung on the wall, I even stuck plastic flowers in it for a while! I looked up Salvadore and he is German. The label inside also says B & J New York, Sole Importers, You know New York, "If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere!" F.S. It has a little crack in middle of back. A friend said it was a good buy as the bows may be worth more than the violin? Anyway Any information on Salvadore De Durro, if he was your relative let me know history! Box is kind of cool, Maybe make a cool gun case!? haha thanks for looking! Don

Comments

1. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Gleaned from the net
    "Salvador de Durro is a trade name for violins sold by the Buegeleisen & Jacobson Co. NY. I guess the earliest violins would be somewhere around the turn of the century...maybe earlier. Quality varies from very fine instruments, to cheaply made student instruments with painted on purfling and pressed backs. According to some old catalogues, some of the better Durro's were made by the master himself..Mr.Durro? The Durro violins were German made instruments, not Italian as the name implies. The early high end Durro's are quite nice."
    Can't guarantee it's accuracy.

David
  2. toracat toracat, 1 year ago
    thanks, that is interesting! this one is not painted. Seems pretty well made and the hinges on the box with a lock is very well made. I do not know anything but maybe someday I will meet someone who does!
  3. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Most welcome sir!
    Definitely not painted so that's a plus, what's the back look like?
  4. toracat toracat, 1 year ago
    I will put up 3 new photos!
  5. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Looks like it's not a pressed back, so that's good.
    Appears to have a center line, so made in the two board style.
  6. toracat toracat, 1 year ago
    That is where slight crack is, it fell off wall once, I used a ty from loaf of bread to hang and it slipped or something.
  7. walksoftly walksoftly, 1 year ago
    Oops, blame it on gravity!