Vase designed by Hans-Christian Wagner bearing Holmegaard label (Björshult, 1960s?)

In Art Glass > Scandinavian Art Glass > Show & Tell.
Scandinavian Art Glass459 of 1040Gerda Stromberg - Cotton Jar with cap - Strombergshyttan 1933-34.Kaj Franck

Ulysses_8Ulysses_8 loves this.
Gracay2004Gracay2004 loves this.
AmberRoseAmberRose loves this.
catteanncatteann loves this.
aldo78aldo78 loves this.
miKKoChristmas11miKKoChristmas11 loves this.
toolate2toolate2 loves this.
dirrtydavvedirrtydavve likes this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
peteypetey loves this.

Posted 1 year ago

austrohung…

This vase has been for some time a real mistery to me... it didn't seem to fit in any range or style I know.

To start with it bears a red Holmegaard label, what made me think of Lütken, or maybe Sidse Werner.

It is full of bubbles, just like the Erik Höglund's Blåsiga (windy) series from the 1950s or the Sargasso ones by Kaj Franck from the 1960s... and as far as i know, only the LAVA series by Lütken has some bubbles on it, but they happen to be in a "guest star" way... they're not the main issue in that series.

Then, the shape seems to fit, once again, with that of some LAVA vases (it's got rounded base and top, but the centre of the vase is square-ish... Then the silhouette sort of fits with one of the Majgron vases (http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/40737-majgrn-per-ltken-holmegaard-1955?in=collection-457), but Lava vases are exageratedly hand-made looking... I mean every item is totally different from all the other with the same design, with huge variations of shape and colour... and there's no green colour that I know.

The colour is a totally new shade of green, although at some point reminds me of that shown in the thick walled or solid glass parts of Majgron items, such as that of the bases, and that of a unika PL bowl I've got (somethimg I must share soon as I recently got a marching bowl in blue and brown... lovely!).

Somebody hinted it could be Björkshult... I totally forgot about it and today -Jn 31st, Jensen brought the vase "back to the comments" and I remembered about the Björkshult hint...

and yes, it is. This factory I had scarcely heard of before except for a kartio-like jug design and a few other glassware stuff. But I've found items with simmilar bubbles and others with H.Ch.Wagner's name on them... so the mystery is over. Well, not actually over as there's very few info about both Björkshult and HCWagner. All I've been able to find out about him is that he worked at the glassworks from 1957 to 1976.

Some of the bubbled items remind me a lot of the Asa Strömberg bowls and vases in Cobalt's, Rebesin's and my own collections.

I want to thank everybody, specially Jensen who seems to have asked every Holmegaard expert!!! :)

Mystery Solved

Comments

1. austrohungaro austrohungaro, 1 year ago
    I see no comments but lots of loves for this piece! Thanks everybody!!!
  2. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 1 year ago
    OK...here's one comment....love it and show more neat pieces :)))
  3. austrohungaro austrohungaro, 1 year ago
    thanks moonstonelover!!!
  4. vlkma238412 vlkma238412, 1 year ago
    nice color like the square shape with the slightly rounded edges like a barrel
    havent seen anything like this
  5. jensen jensen, 7 months ago
    This vase has created quite a stir here: I showed these pictures to the chairman of the Society for Historical Glass here (he knows a LOT about Danish glass), and he couldn't identify it. He then asked a Holmegaard collector/expert, who didn't know it either and they then asked Naestved Museum (in charge of the Holmegaard collection and archive) whose director has now written back and said that it is very unlikely that this is a Holmegaard vase! They have nothing like it in the archives and catalogues, and the bubbles are normally not a Holmegaard feature (as you yourself mention above). It happens occasionally that the Holmegaard sticker ends up on non-Holmegaard items (maybe to make them sell better), she said. I don't know if it helps to know what the vase is not - but in any case, it doesn't change the fact that it is a very pretty vase!
  6. SEAN68 SEAN68, 7 months ago
    Jensen do you think that this could an export for the us and sold somewhere exclusively?
  7. jensen jensen, 7 months ago
    I thought about it - but then I think the Museum experts would know and be able to find it somewhere in a catalogue or list or something (and if three experts all say the same thing...) ... But of course you can't rule it out, I guess.
  8. Gracay2004 Gracay2004, 7 months ago
    This is very strange, if it is not a Holmegaard item, which seems likely given the bubbles, colour and expert opinions, why would you place a Holmegaard sticker on it to "add value"? Surely you would simply attribute it to another maker with a style more in keeping with the vase! A real puzzle, but a very beautiful piece regardless.
  9. austrohungaro austrohungaro, 7 months ago
    I got some hints about it probaby being Bjorkshult... I'll try and find out. I know they made some bubbled glass...

Thanks so much for your help Jensen.

Yes, Gracay, I think they believe it will be easier to sell this way. The vase is a beauty and I don't mind it's not Holmegaard....

Last week i saw an amazing piece on Etsy atributed to Lútken when it clearly is a design by Michael Bang -sort of trees sculptures in clar glass... most probably an unika item. I wrote to the shop telling them it wasn't Lütken's but Bang's and that Bang's unikas are as valuable as Lütken... They answered back thanking me for the message and telling they were wrong... It's still there as a Lütken piece :(
  10. austrohungaro austrohungaro, 7 months ago
    YEP! I must remove that sticker at once. It's a Björkshult piece by Hans-Christian Wagner.

Would like to get something else from him! :)
  11. austrohungaro austrohungaro, 7 months ago
    New text just added with the factory and designer :) !!!
  12. Gracay2004 Gracay2004, 7 months ago
    Glad you finally solved the mystery! It is a stunning piece and I am glad the creator is getting the recognition he deserves.
  13. austrohungaro austrohungaro, 7 months ago
    Thanks Gracay!

I paid too little for this vase, so I don't feel at all disappointed. On the other hand, as you all said, the vase is a beauty, an absolute beauty!

Just like you've said, I'm glad to find out about Hans-Christian Wagner as a designer and that, as you say yuorself, he's getting the recognisition he deserves.
  14. austrohungaro austrohungaro, 7 months ago
    I have just dome a very trashy thing: because this vase is already in storage -I'm packing all of my glass collection as I'll have to leave my place sometime within 2014- I cannot remove the label and take new pics... so i just photoshoped the previous pictures and there's no label anymore on them ;)