Dime (200?) with Raised Copper Edges

In US Coins > US Error Coins > Show & Tell and US Coins > Roosevelt Dimes > Show & Tell.
US Error Coins30 of 75this penny hellMy All Times Favorite in Doubled Denomination 11c ~ So weird! 148 years ago.

clockermanclockerman likes this.
hotairfanhotairfan loves this.
coincatchercoincatcher likes this.
RonMRonM loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 likes this.
musikchoomusikchoo loves this.

2000 something dime with penny like raised copper edges. The last digit of year is obscured by the raised edge. The edge is exagerated somewhat and larger than either a dime or penny would normally be. The edge is smooth and there are no apparent seems so it appears stamped that way.
AAny comments or information is welcome. I have not been able to locate pics of similar dime, but I may not know where to look.
Thank You.

1. Militarist Militarist, 3 years ago
    Is the diameter smaller than a regular dime? If so the rolled up rim is probably the result of someone tapping it with a spoon just like they do when they make the coin rings.
  2. pennydime pennydime, 3 years ago
    I think this one is NOT a legitimate error coin..
  3. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 3 years ago
    It has been spooned. Not an error coin, just someone having fun. Doing this was popular during the late 1950's and 60's. You can tap the center out and use the rim for a ring for your girlfriend. Spooned rings and sock hop dances.....those were the days. You could tap out a new ring for every new girlfriend.
  4. ginnyg, 2 years ago
    Interesting. I have almost the exact dime with year 200 say this isnt an error coin but what are odds of me having one too? Same year possibly. Does yourslook like the edge of a penny?
  5. pennydime pennydime, 2 years ago
    can not recommended that you can sent this type of coin to any authentication TPG because it is obviously is not a legitimate coin error. Just my own opinion and also please read other comments. Thank you.
  6. fhrjr2 fhrjr2, 2 years ago
    If you Google spooning coins you will see plenty of images and there is even a wiki page to show you how to do it. Us old fogies grew up doing it so we don't need Google.
  7. Dandaoak, 9 months ago
    I also have that exact coin with that year and looks exactly the same! It's an error.
  8. aghcollect aghcollect, 9 months ago
    Not an error - it is IMPOSSIBLE for this to occur in the minting process. PERIOD
  9. CindB CindB, 9 months ago
    Fhrjr2 is right. Nickels work even better.
  10. BeccaNicole1994, 8 months ago
    I have one that I found in my store floor. There was a man that had like five or six of these. I don't think these were made intentionally. If they were then why so many??
  11. princessmila, 6 months ago
    I also have this exact same coin/year. Thats a pretty big COINcidence...
  12. TubeAmp TubeAmp, 6 months ago
    With mintage figures in excess of one and and a half billion (with a "B") for each of the years 2000-2006, even if a thousand people posted that they found one like this, still amounts to nothing but a novelty.

When a coin is struck without a collar die, you get a broadstruck coin like this:
    The collar die serves two important purposes, it imparts it's design (reeded edge) and it resists the flow of metal during the strike.
    As it's been said many times in two years, this is not the result of a mint error, but that of a bored individual outside the mint. ;)

T A