1803-1904 Conn River line railroad badge

In Railroadiana > Railroad Badges > Show & Tell.
Railroad Badges6 of 24Star 4 BadgeLS & MS Ry Cap Badges

ho2cultchaho2cultcha loves this.
kerry10456kerry10456 loves this.
Moonstonelover21Moonstonelover21 loves this.
blunderbuss2blunderbuss2 loves this.

lisaemery1…
(1 item)

I found this in my old house that I had lived in, and did not know what it was at first. I dont know to much history about it, all I know is that it belonged to a R.L. Robbins out of Boston. That is the only information I have been able to find.

Comments

1. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    better pic would be nice.
  2. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 2 years ago
    I concur!!!
  3. lisaemery1967, 2 years ago
    I uploaded a clearer picture, hope this helps.
  4. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    Much better. Maybe some kind of employee I.D.. Hope somebody comes up with the answer.
  5. Moonstonelover21 Moonstonelover21, 2 years ago
    Thank you for the updated picture! Great find!!!
  6. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    Just flipping back & see this hasn't been solved yet. You clipped off the very top. Does it have a way of fastening?
  7. lisaemery1967, 2 years ago
    Yes it has a clip on it!!
  8. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    I believe you have two items.

The top portion looks to be a watch fob.

The brass RR item looks like a typical baggage tag of the late 19th/ early 20th century.

scott
  9. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    I think it is one piece because the shingles all have 2 hangers & both top & bottom have 1 ring. The tag is held with single jack chains but I couldn't find a history of that type.
  10. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    Also, the name Robbins would identify the MAKER as opposed to the owner of the RR baggage tag.

scott
  11. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    Is this R.R. or boat? Is that 1914 I see on the bottom shingle?
  12. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    Here is a site with information on brass RR baggage tags:

scott
  13. lisaemery1967, 2 years ago
    No the date on the top piece is 1803 and on the bottom is 1904.
  14. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    Maybe the employee was so lazy that they put a baggage tag on him? Scott's poste shows very similar tags. This is getting good. For some reason, I still think it is a worn badge even if the guy was 101 yrs old.
  15. scottvez scottvez, 2 years ago
    Quick research on the CT River RR shows the posted dates have NO significance to the RR. The RR was formed in 1845-- lending further credence to the thought that the upper portion is not related to the brass baggage tag.

scott
  16. blunderbuss2 blunderbuss2, 2 years ago
    We all seem to have diff. guesses.
  17. lisaemery1967, 2 years ago
    Here is some information that I had forwarded to me from a gentleman that knows about Railroad history!!
    The heart-shaped badge looks like a regular railroad brass baggage tag from the 1800s, with the "6210" probably being a destination-station number. "Conn River Line", however, may be a steamship line on the Connecticut River that connected with one or more railroads. I don't know of any railroad named Connecticut River Line, although the Valley Railroad (later New Haven Railroad) did run alongside the Connecticut River.

The other emblems above the heart-shaped emblem look like additions, as do the two holes drilled in the emblem to attach them